update on The Paul Yandell Book Project

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

update on The Paul Yandell Book Project

Postby Norm » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:46 am

Nothing really to report.

I'm having a hard time getting a publisher to even look at my manuscript. In this business they ask for a "query letter" where you pitch your idea. If they like that you get to submit a proposal and if they like That they ask for your manuscript. So far, no one has asked to see the whole thing.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm a new author along with the fact that the editors get flooded daily with pleas by people who have their version of "The Book" no matter what its topic. That, and it's a "niche" topic. It has a relatively narrow market.

Still, I think it is a worthy project. I just re-noted my pictures and the captions and still find them fascinating. When I check over the manuscript I still find myself getting hooked on Paul's words and my additions to it.

I have a copy-reader who keeps my grammar and syntact correct and she checks every query letter I send out.

Is it discouraging? Hail yes!

Am I giving up? Hail no!
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Re: update on The Paul Yandell Book Project

Postby Frank G T Robinson » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:18 am

Hi, Norm,
To bad about the book not being accepted yet by a publisher. I, for one, would love a copy. I know a few people who have tried to have books published but found it an uphill struggle. There's a chap who lives in Wyoming who wrote a book about the filming of the movie 'Shane' in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. He couldn't get a publisher but then offered it to interested parties as a CD-Rom. Maybe you could go down this road.
Frank
Frank G T Robinson

Postby Larry Marchino » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:53 am

Norm,
There is always the possibility of publishing it yourself. My dad wrote a book of fiction a few years ago and had it published through I-Universe. Of course, you have the up front costs of publishing, but I bet there are enough of us who will buy your book for you to more than recoup your costs. Plus, I'm sure that you could have a book signing at local libraries and at local book stores (Barnes and Noble maybe) and folks that may not be as interested in the topic but who know you, will want one just because you wrote it. Again, that was my Dad's experience. My Dad got his publishing costs back and maybe more and he didn't have a group like us "Chet Nuts" willing to buy his book. Just a thought.
Larry Marchino

Postby Carl Martin » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:47 am

Hi Norm,
Perhaps the money could be raised here on the Chetboard.
I have no idea about the cost of book publishing, but I would bet that if you find the information about self-publishing, and post it here you would find sponsors.
Count me in. Anyone else?
Thanks, Carl...
Carl Martin

Postby dgallent » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:52 am

You can publish it on Amazon for download.

What gets published by big time publishers are Authors who have a "platform" to promote the book like O'Reilly, Beck, Osteen etc.
dgallent

Postby Norm » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:24 pm

I may end up going the Amazon route but Paul deserves paper.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

That should do it.
Norm

Postby John C. » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:45 pm

Hi Norm-

If you decide to go the eBook route & have any questions about the process, please don't hesitate to contact me. I'll do my best to help.

Take care & hang in there!

John C.
John C.

Postby Norm » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks, John...

That should do it.
Norm

Postby Ray Bohlken » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:17 pm

Norm, I was hoping you'd find a publisher. I think it would be a great book and I'd enjoy it. If you did decide to self publish, I'd kick in on the project money wise to help with the costs.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Norm » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:24 pm

Thanks, Ray...

Thanks to all of you.

Just wanted you all to know that it's not dead in the water, that I'm still working on gittin' it Done!

That should do it.
Norm

Next

Return to Announcement and News