Xander/Standel Amp at CAAS 2013?

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Xander/Standel Amp at CAAS 2013?

Postby Terry McArthur » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:08 am

Did anyone notice the Standel 25L15 look-a-like that was labled Xander. . . It was over by the solid body harp guitar table. It had the JBL D-130 and some pretty beefy looking transformers. Just curious. I wanted to talk to the owner but never caught up to him Couldn't find anything about them on Google -Terry
Terry McArthur

Re: Xander/Standel Amp at CAAS 2013?

Postby alexjones » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:58 pm

Hi Terry,
That was my Amplifier. I still have your card - we just got back this morning around 1 AM. I will give you a call later this afternoon. Thanks
Alex
alexjones

Postby Steve Sanders » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:48 pm

Inquiring minds want to know more about this amp. Not everyone is so lucky to have a 25L15 amplifier and I just know some folks are itchin' to know more about this particular one. Does anyone have any info on this amp? Thanks, Steve
Steve Sanders

Postby alexjones » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:16 am

I built the amplifier that some folks seen at CAAS with the Xander label on the grill cloth. I built the amp under the guidance of Bud Park who builds the Parkel amps. I have a pretty decent background of soldering and putting together components so I contacted Bud and he helped me out with the details. Unfortunately he is not building the amps anymore and the guys who have them will most likely never get rid of them. Bud managed to get a hold of an original Standel amplifier to clone. He figured out all the components in the circuit, cabinet dimensions etc and built himself a clone. During that process he documented things very meticulously. Saying that - he has helped a few guys like myself to make there own amplifiers. It's not the easiest project and you need a fairly good background to make it through the project. So the amplifiers that Bud built were identical clones to the original Standel that he had to reference. The amplifier that I built was very slightly different in that there was a switch in the back that changed a components value. I did this to take out some low end thump that I noticed to be prevalent in my Gretsch Country Gentleman (6122-1959). The switch removes that thump and also changes the mids a bit, which is REALLY useful in getting a lot of different tones that I hear on Chet's records. Bud came up with the idea of using a pot to change the value of the component to really be able to dial in the sound that you want.

Anyways, if you all are wondering, I do not plan to market these amps because the original Standel company is still in business and I do not want to get on their bad side. Although I may consider building a few others (word of mouth) as I have a few more D-130's. If you have any questions regarding the project, feel free to contact me. Thanks
Alex
alexjones

Return to Guitars and Equipment