Paul Yandell Tribute at CAAS?

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Paul Yandell Tribute at CAAS?

Postby Pickin Palmer » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Who's up for a Paul Yandell Tribute in the Picker's Club room at CAAS this coming week? Who would like to play a couple of his originals or arrangements?

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Re: Paul Yandell Tribute at CAAS?

Postby EddieP » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:15 pm

I will.
EddieP

Postby rhudson » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:06 pm

Anything for Paul would be an honor, if I am worthy. I would be happy just sitting in the audience and wiping tears.
rhudson

Postby craigdobbins » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:23 pm

Put me down, Palmer. (Actually, I know you already have.)

Looking forward to honoring Paul. He left us some great tunes and licks! (And guitars!!)

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby BillB » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:06 am

Wish I could be there to hear the good pickin' for Paul. Unfortunately, I won't make it to CAAS this year. My wife has a conference at the same time, and I owe her for being so good to me about all my guitar and car stuff. I know you all will do an outstanding job in honoring Paul. I hope someone will video record it and post it on YouTube.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby Randy Finney » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:53 am

Palmer, feel free to schedule this at the time that is convenient to the participants. No worries about using some, or all, of the time you are having me take care of the room.

Speaking of the Pickers Room - and that I think I am supposed to organize activities here for 4 hours each day - would any of you be interested in this idea...

...a "Chet Tune Talking Tour".

The idea is that you would play a Chet Tune that you know and then tell us how you approached learning it, the challenges, the easy parts and, most important, how you think of the tune.

No formality, approach expectations, or judgements. The idea is to really tell us the way YOU think - not the way you think a guitar player is "supposed to think". If you think in terms theory, great. If you think in terms of relating physical shapes to sounds, great. Just tell us what works for you.

Personally, I find just listening to and learning how other players think very beneficial, especially if their thought process is very foreign to the way I think.

If you would like to participate in this idea I would love to give it shot and organize of few of these types of sessions. Email me, call me, or find me at hanging around at CAAS - probably in the Picker's Room.

Randy
RandyFinney@FingerStyleGuitar.ca
416-722-6524
Randy Finney

Postby bill_h » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:36 am

I don't know that I've ever heard two better ideas than the Paul Yandell tribute and the talking Chet tune tour. I'd be honored to participate in either if I was qualified but I am qualified to sit in the audience :lol: ! If I can't be in the audience during the tribute to Paul I'll be there in spirit. ( I realize no one wants to play for a room full of spirits but I'll be dividing my time between attending the convention and working on a project of my own which may have the potential to make me self employed. ( Hopefully I'll be able to afford to play the guitar AND have time to play the guitar as well if successful!)
bill_h

Postby Pickin Palmer » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks for the responses, guys. Let's set it up for 3 pm Thursday afternoon - and, let it run for as long as it wants to - stories encouraged. EVERYBODY that wants to play for him can do so. We'll kick off with Craig Dobbins, Eddie P, Micah, Richard Hudson, shoot - I might even nervously play a couple. I'm sure many others will want to join in once they find out about it. It should be a great time and, like I said, we'll just let it run until we run out of pickers and story tellers.

Paul wrote many great finger style tunes and arranged many more than that. We had our tears at last year's PY Tribute - this year we can just sit back and enjoy the legacy he left us. Speaking of which - did anybody other than me learn any Chet licks from Paul's "Fingerstyle Legacy" book - starting on page 57??? I'VE GOT MINE!!!!

Yes, Randy, that sounds like a great idea. We all have stories about how and why we learned a Chet tune. (And, why we can't play most of them. (lol) I was hoping to throw in a new idea this year, as well. If I can figure out how to hook my laptop through the Bose tower - I'd like to select members of the audience to come up and play "Name That Tune" where we play a few notes of a Chet tune - and, see who can name it in the shortest number of notes.

Anyway, should be a fun time in the Picker's Club Room, this year.

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Postby Eddie Estes » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:37 pm

Wish I could be there this year. Paul was a great friend to me and Phil.
It was an honor to know him and have his family as a second family.

Eddie Estes
Eddie Estes

Postby Pickin Palmer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:51 am

We are going to have to move the TIME of this PY Tribute to 4 pm Thursday afternoon - Marie Y has a conflict earlier in the day and we can't have it without her. This will also make it easier for Paul Moseley to make it after his workshop.

(Randy, I know this will probably, now, run into your time slot - but, I figured it would be ok with you.)

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Next

Return to Announcement and News