Jerry Reed - Finger Dancing (Album Question)

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Jerry Reed - Finger Dancing (Album Question)

Postby the-ocean87 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:15 pm

Hey all,

I have a question about the album mentioned above. Stumbled over it on Amazon an gave a listen to it.
All songs were released before (Album release 2000) so I wondered if it was a compilation.
But all songs sound different from the originals that I know. So my question is, are all these songs re-recordings?? And if yes, when have they been recorded?

"Jerrys Breakdown" is also on this CD with Chet on 2nd guitar?? Sounds so in the solo, but must have been recorded years before, because Chet didn't do any recordings after 1996 as far as I know

Any info is highly appreciated!
the-ocean87

Re: Jerry Reed - Finger Dancing (Album Question)

Postby craigdobbins » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:12 pm

All the songs are re-recordings. Jerry was inspired by the "Riverdance" musical, so he arranged some of his classic instrumentals for 3 guitars (Bobby Lovett, Mark Thornton, and Jerry). They are new arrangements, with new breaks. Some are extended arrangements (longer than the originals).

The solo on "Jerry's Breakdown" is by Mark Thornton, who also played the solo live when Jerry and his band performed the tune.

To my knowledge, this album also contains Jerry's only released recordings of "The Early Dawn", "Winter Walking", "Steeplechase Lane", and "Mister Lucky."

Thanks,

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby the-ocean87 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:49 pm

Thank you Craig for clearing that up for me! Do you know which year it was recorded?

I find it irritating when I don't know which parts Chet or here Jerry play on some of their recordings. Do you know if Jerry plays lead on all tracks?
the-ocean87

Postby guitarchuck » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:00 pm

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5t2Wt0rKrvZbC1OVml0aVJlekU/edit?pli=1

I thought it might be helpful to post the Jerry Reed instrumental list link again.

I also thought it might be helpful to add the actual LP/CD/45 names to the list. Maybe someday when I have the time I'll do that!
guitarchuck

Postby craigdobbins » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:12 pm

They're playing together, either in unison or harmony.That's why it sounds double-tracked, or like a chorus effect. It's meant to be an ensemble recording, not a solo effort.

That said, Jerry does play "Steeplechase Lane" solo (with quite a bit of compression, I might add). "The Early Dawn" might be solo too- I haven't listened to the CD in a long time.

I think Mark may play the main part on "Winter Walking", but I'm not sure.

Craig
craigdobbins

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins