Claes Neeb passes away

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Claes Neeb passes away

Postby PhilHunt » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Just heard that Claes Neeb passed away, is this true???? What a talent!
PhilHunt

Re: Claes Neeb passes away

Postby awykle » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:47 pm

It does appear so Phil. He had lung cancer from my understanding. A great player and a true loss as well.
awykle

Postby bill_h » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:36 pm

What a shame. Great player!! I was listening to some of his clips earlier today on you tube. I'm sure he will be dearly and sorely missed by all.
bill_h

Postby chet1952 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:40 pm

I just found out the sad news a minute ago
I'm sad to hear this, he was a accomplish guitar player and seems to
Be a nice person.

Jean François
chet1952

Postby PhilHunt » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:14 pm

Claes and I were planning to do some Chet/Jerry tunes together at a CAAS sometime in the future. What a great loss. The man had so much talent. I hope someone CAAS mentions how much he is missed at the convention. He was such a nice down to earth guy to talk to and meet. I remember I first met him at CAAS in 1994 (my first one), I went up to him and he was so nice to me.
PhilHunt

Postby guitarchuck » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:50 pm

I was sad when I heard the news of Claes passing today. Although I never met him in person, we were Facebook friends and shared some emails. On one of his YouTube videos in Chet's studio, I spotted what I thought was Chet's Peaver guitar hanging on the wall in Chet's studio. I emailed Claes about it, because at the time I owned the Peaver guitar. Claes was so kind to send me the following email:

Hi Chuck,
Yes, I guess you are right and I do have a picture that shows the guitar
better. Chester had several guitars hanging around the control room,
but we never took the time to talk about them.
I attach a copy of the picture. It is scanned from a normal size physical
photo, and thus the quality is not the best, but you clearly see that "Peaver".
Best regards,
Claes
Peaver Guitar Claes Neeb Chet Atkins.jpg

Another time, my daughter was working on a project for college. She needed to communicate with someone from another country to answer some questions about their country. I suggested that she contact Claes Neeb. He was very kind to provide her with all that she needed to know for her project.

Claes was a huge fan of Chet and he spread the music of Chet in Norway. Claes will be missed greatly.
Last edited by guitarchuck on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guitarchuck

Postby Norm » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:05 pm

Their physical resemblance was uncanny, too...
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby GaryL » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:10 pm

Very sad news. I enjoyed his playing and dedication to Chet.
GaryL
GaryL

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:08 pm

Phil & Norm,
I also remember Claes at the '94 CAAS. That Wednesday after registration we all met in a small auditorium because the main ball room was not yet available. Several entertainers performed including Claes and Pat Donohue. Scotty Moore, Joe Edwards, Mark Pritcher, and some others were standing behind me and I overheard one of them comment that Claes even looked like Chet sitting up there playing. The resemblance is evident in that photo of Claes and Chet. Later in the convention I spoke with Claes and he autographed my program. He was very nice, accommodating, and played guitar in the true Chet style. I'm sorry to hear of his passing.
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby gmoseley » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:44 pm

I remember meeting him in '94 also. He was such a nice person to talk to and his playing was/is impeccable. Paul Yandell thought a lot of him, we used to talk about his playing, and how he looked and sounded so much like Chet. He looked like Chet without trying to, and he didn't put on any aires, that knocked me out, he was such a down-to-earth guy. I've worn out his videos on U-Tube over the years. There are many great Chet players out there but for my part, I'd as soon hear him play as anybody, boy he was so fine. His passing is a great loss.

Gayle Moseley
gmoseley

Return to Announcement and News