Gibson 'Chet Atkins' SST Guitar

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Gibson 'Chet Atkins' SST Guitar

Postby Frank G T Robinson » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:09 pm

Hi,
I have been having a problem with my SST Chet Atkins guitar. Each time I play I get overtones especially on the first three strings (the note or a facsimile of it keeps ringing on even after I have taken my my fingers away and I have to put the heel of my hand on the strings. I do know the principle of blocking; but this is beyond that.
Going on an earlier Chetboarders post I had the pickup replaced with a Fishman Matrix and as advised the resister was changed from 10 to 20meg to match the input from the pickup. The problem is not solved and it's driving me batty.
Can anyone advise?
Frank
Frank G T Robinson

Re: Gibson 'Chet Atkins' SST Guitar

Postby Terry Tolley » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:37 pm

I would suggest this experiment:

While the overtones are sounding, change the volume control on the guitar and the amp one at a time to see what effect, if any, that they have. Also, try changing your position relative to the amp.

If the amp volume affects the overtones or your position relative to the amp affects it...then it could be feedback.

If the amp volume has no effect, but the guitar volume does, then there could be a defect in the EQ circuits inside the guitar causing the problem. Common cause is a decouplling capacitor, likely in the early stages power supply lines.
Terry Tolley

Postby Frank G T Robinson » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:03 pm

Thank you ,Terry,
I shall try and see if that is the problem,
Many Thanks,
Frank
Frank G T Robinson

Postby Norm » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:09 pm

Another thing...
Chet and Paul liked to run their guitars pretty much at full volume and control the end volume from the amp. Not sure this would be as effective on that guitar or not
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Frank G T Robinson » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:22 am

Thanks, Norm,
Much appreciated,
Frank
Frank G T Robinson

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins