New tab book

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

New tab book

Postby Jingo2013 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:09 am

Does anyone have the new e-book "Chet Atkins Guitar Tablatures" by Jason Lee? It is available from Amazon, but only as a Kindle-edition. Since I don't own a Kindle, it would be appreciated if someone could provide some information about the content of the book and the quality of the transcriptions. Thanks a lot.
Jingo2013

Re: New tab book

Postby Norm » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:21 am

The good news is that it's cheap.

The irritating thing is that Amazon is using this in their drive to make the world want to adore their Kindle program.

Bit of an overstatement, perhaps, but not offering at least a table of contents is irritating and to me, juvinile. They don't even say how many songs are offered.

I'd reccomend the Mel Bay Chet Atkins In Three Dimensions vol I and II first. Or look into what Craig Dobbins has to offer.

The best tabs were Jack Baker's tabledits but unless you can find someone willing to share their stash those are gone due to copyright bounty hunters
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby PhilHunt » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:20 am

I have to say that by far the Christian Denoyelle Chet tabs are the best and probably 99% accurate. I have practically all of the Chet LP's in tablature on 1 disc and have studied most of the tunes and they are pretty dead on.
PhilHunt

Postby John Knowles » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:09 pm

I downloaded the sample from Amazon to my iPad Kindle app. There is no table of contents in the sample. The titles in the sample are "Taste of Honey," Ain't Misbehavin'", and All I Ever Need is You."

There is no composer, publisher or copyright info on the tunes. My guess is that Amazon will figure out that neither Chet's estate nor the composers and publishers have given permission or are being paid for this work.

John
John Knowles

Postby Jingo2013 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:23 pm

Thanks a lot for your replies, y'all. It seems to me there is no need to buy a Kindle at this point.
Jingo2013

Postby senojnad » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:50 pm

Don't waste your time thinking about it. I have a Kindle. There are some good things about it, but this type of book would not be good on a Kindle. First, the screen is small, about 4" x 6"- Visualize a piece of sheetmusic/tab that small.... Good luck.

One of the things I don't like about my Kindle is that it it is not very easy to flip back and forth in pages. If you accidentally hit the screen in the wrong spot, you suddenly find yourself in a totally differnet part of the book -- and it takes a while to figure out where you are and how to get back to where you were (there are NO page numbers).
senojnad

Postby volscoach » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:54 pm

You can have a kindle app on your pc or laptop. I just buy the kindle edition of the book and have it sent to my laptop.

Steve
volscoach

Return to Guitars and Equipment