finish problem on Nashville Classic?

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: finish problem on Nashville Classic?

Postby Tom Partridge » Fri May 24, 2013 9:29 am

In Ohio Burning River Guitars in Cuyuhoga Falls or Roger Thurman in Kent would be excellent choices to have this looked at if do it yourself is not bringing desired result. I am sure there are other good choices depending on your location.
Tom Partridge

Postby LMark » Fri May 24, 2013 2:09 pm

Brian Ingram wrote:
LMark wrote:... I'm guessing that the NC has a poly finish.

Unless Gibson started using poly in the last decade or so, the finish is nitro. I never saw any U.S.-made Gibson with a poly finish. The Epiphones are an entirely different matter, and 10 years ago nearly all of them had poly finishes only.

Brian, the NC is made by Gretsch in the Terada factory in Japan. For that reason I think that it has a poly finish. As a subsequent posting suggests, maybe it's time for a luthier to take a look. LMark
LMark

Postby Joeb » Fri May 24, 2013 4:18 pm

I have a 2003 original first of the line Nashville Classics made back in the day. I use simple isopropy rubbing Alcohol you can by it at Wal-mart or any Walgreens store. I pour it into a spray bottle and spray it on my guitars that I'm cleaning . It works wonders on stripping off old smudges and wax buildup like your guitar in the picture shows. The best part is it's safe to use. I own 5 Gretsch guitar they are G6122-59 N/C, G-5120, a double cut G -6122-1962 CG, G-6119 Tenn. Rose, and a G6119 H/T. Tenn Rose.and use it on everyone of them without any problems. Just spray it on and wipe it off because the alcohol dries fast.
Joeb

Postby Brian Ingram » Tue May 28, 2013 5:31 pm

LMark wrote:Brian, the NC is made by Gretsch in the Terada factory in Japan. For that reason I think that it has a poly finish.

This is good info! Thanks for that, as I stopped working at Gibson back in 2000. So any changes they've made since then would be something I don't know about.
Brian Ingram

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment