Short Scale Del Vecchio on ebay

Postby PhilHunt » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:44 pm

Saw this really nice nice short scale for sale on ebay. At least it appears to look like a short scale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-Blues-Reso ... _63wt_1170
PhilHunt

Re: Short Scale Del Vecchio on ebay

Postby Richard Hudson » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:48 pm

If funds were available, that one would not be for sale any longer.
Richard Hudson

Postby Norm » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:52 pm

You'd probably have to invest an equal amount to get the thing to play right.

They sound great when they work but they're really shoddily made guitars. Unfortunately, nothing else quite sounds like them.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Richard Hudson » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:05 pm

Possibly so. From the description I gathered that it was in good playing condition, with some cosmetic issues, which wouldn't bother me as long as it plays and sounds good.
Richard Hudson

Postby Tom Keller » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:31 pm

Hi All, Seller told me that the bridge and nut had been overly enlarged by the previous owner and that any playing in the mid upper registers create a buzz. So I guess at best it will need a nut and bridge replacement.

Tom
Tom Keller

Postby Norm » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:33 pm

The store I worked at bought two. After about two weeks they developed a bad (convex) backbow in the fingerboard which sounds like what might be the problem on this one.

Junk. But with a tone that no other guitar can match when it's put to rights. And pretty with all that Jacaranda veneer
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby PhilHunt » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:40 am

I see the DV sold for around $1,000 which is a good price for a short scale. Did anybody here buy it? If so, I'd like to know what it's like when you get it.
When I got mine I had to get just a little work down on the end of the fretbaord. Other than that it plays good and has that "del vecchio sound".
Here's a clip of me playing my Del Vecchio with Eddie at the Hall of Fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grsidSf-iaw
PhilHunt

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:11 am

Phil,
If I closed my eyes I would think it was Chet playing! Yes, your DV has the sound and of course you nailed the song! Good job! - Ronnie
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby PhilHunt » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:39 am

I think the way to try and get "the sound" is to experiment with different type of strings. I know of some folks that have had Del Vecchios and they just sound like a normal steel string guitar. I use silver plated nylons on the 4,5,6 and then steel strings and an un-wound third on the trebles. Some people use silk and steel. I find that they are too heavy. A good way I gauged how to get the sound is too play along with a Chet tune and tweak the biscuit being careful not to collapse the cone. I have found that the sound changes a bit when you turn it or shift it in anyway. An important part is to get the biscuit lined up with the cone because there is a hole that runs through the biscuit into the cone. Also, material for the saddle makes a HUGE difference.
PhilHunt

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:52 pm

That's good information about the strings. It appears to be a delicate guitar and perhaps why Chet rarely ever used it in his road shows.
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Return to FOR SALE or TRADE