Compression?

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Compression?

Postby Len R » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:23 pm

At CAAS this year I noticed a few performers were using a compressor. For example, Paul Mosely was using a DBX compressor, and was kind enough to explain a bit about it. Is compression part of the "Chet" sound? Do many of you use it in your set up, live, at home, or recording? I am thinking about trying it, and am curious as to what others think, or use, the whys and the how to.

Thanks!

Len
Len R

Re: Compression?

Postby thenorm » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:31 pm

Sticking my neck out I think compresors are similar to what they call "limiters" in a studio. Limiters prevent volume spikes in a recording session in a studio but by the same token they can alter the oveall tone if used heavily.

Compressors can artificially imcrease sistaim but at the same time they can even the note volume out, some say too much.

I think Chet probably used limiters occasionally in his recording and possbily even compressors but I doubt he used a compressor as an effect very often.

Couldn't point to a song he used a compressor on. Maybe some of his later experiments after 1980 (when he went with Gibson)
thenorm

Re: Compression?

Postby LMark » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:57 pm

I am pretty sure Chet used an LA2A in the studio. I am certain Paul would give the most accurate answer to the question. The LA2A is an optical compressor. Aphex makes one that I would like to try sometime.

One aspect of the compression on Chet's recordings, however, was certainly the Standel amp. That amp puts an uncanny articulation and compression on each string/note. I was astonished the first time I heard a Standel wired and EQ'd like Chet's. I would not have believed that an amp could make that much difference in tone, but the Standel does. Fenders sound good, but do not even come close to Chet + Standel.

Mark

P.S. Although I have focused on the amp in this post, I don't mean to exclude other factors, such as Chet's touch, etc.
LMark

Return to Guitars and Equipment