What is happening to us?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: What is happening to us?

Postby Mike Nye » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:16 pm

Eddie Estes wrote:Well until it gets played somewhere other than NPR most people are not going to hear it.

The point is that the good music used to be played on commercial stations.
I just don't do the NPR thing. Too many self described intellectuals on there.
Not insulting the listeners but just the vibe NPR gives off.

Eddie

Have ya tried Fox ? ? ? NO INTELLECTUALS there -NOT a ONE ! ! !
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby Tony Enamel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:33 pm

Well, Mike, I'm not from the US, don't know that Carson Daly show, so I can't comment on that. I can't watch Fox, but I'm not longing for that.

But I wanted to make clear, that in my opinion there has always been good and bad music, and even among the good music there was music some people liked and others didn't.

"Rock Around The Clock"? The good old times? Maybe. Love that classic 50s Rock'n'Roll. But the lyrics usually lacked a certain depth, too. The Nashville Sound? Perfect playing, for sure. A lot of great voices. But for my taste too schmaltzy pretty often. I don't blame anybody for that. It was a business back then as it is now.

I immediately agree with the point that there's a lot of (on the production side) overpolished and (on the musical side) blunt music in both lyrics and sounds today, especially in the mainstream media and "charts". But the whole discussion so far implied the description of a cultural decline. And I don't see it that way. Because nowadays we're not limited to mainstream media anymore and have multiple ways to discover the interesting. There's a lot of fascinating stuff around, not accessible in the past, and many, many people make use of it.

Oh, and by the way, I also agree with this photo:
http://d3na4zxidw1hr4.cloudfront.net/si ... 40_q85.jpg

Ingo
If it ain't got the groove, the bodies won't move.
Tony Enamel

Postby Mike Nye » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:45 pm

Well Tony, Once upon a time there was a band called The Beatles, who in their beginning covered 50s & 60s Rock 'n Roll and R&B hits prior to writing their own material. Their BEST YEARS were their EARLY YEARS, as they were RAW TALENT.

Now days MOST music is OVER-PRODUCED CACA that the mood is produced right out of it. YES, there's some great talent out there, but you have to really dig to find it. I haven't bought a CD since Dire Straits broke up, other than Neck & Neck with Mark Knofler & Chet.

There's also some "Eh, OK" music out there, but I don't like it enough to pay for it . . .
Mike Nye

Postby George Beasley » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:17 pm

Mike Nye wrote:Once upon a time there was a band called The Beatles, who in their beginning covered 50s & 60s Rock 'n Roll and R&B hits prior to writing their own material. Their BEST YEARS were their EARLY YEARS, as they were RAW TALENT.

I am partial to their middle years....Rubber Soul, and Revolver. I thought the really stepped into their own during this period. That being said, my favorite album is the last they recorded.....Abbey Road.
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby Mike Nye » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:21 pm

George Beasley wrote:
Mike Nye wrote:Once upon a time there was a band called The Beatles, who in their beginning covered 50s & 60s Rock 'n Roll and R&B hits prior to writing their own material. Their BEST YEARS were their EARLY YEARS, as they were RAW TALENT.

I am partial to their middle years....Rubber Soul, and Revolver. I thought the really stepped into their own during this period. That being said, my favorite album is the last they recorded.....Abbey Road.

To be honest with you George, their non hits from '64 & '65 was their best material overall . . .
Mike Nye

Postby Eddie Estes » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:13 pm

You can tell how scared libs are of Fox because it is the first thing they can think of to slam.
Not that original anymore.

The point I was making was that the good music used to be on commercial stations.
NPR has a small audience compared to regular commercial stations. And with the hushed tones
of the announcers and playing mostly classical music their audience is limited along with the political
bias of some of the stations.

I did say SELF DESCRIBED intellectuals on NPR. I can say I am a millionaire. That does not make me one

On another note we can always count on attempts at wit by Mike. Thanks :?
Last edited by Eddie Estes on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie Estes

Postby Eddie Estes » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:17 pm

Accuse me of blasphemy but while I loved the Beatles songs I was never impressed as much with them as performers.

I actually was more impressed by people like Ricky Nelson, Buddy Holly, Carl Perkins etc.

I think Travelin' Man by Ricky Nelson was one of the greatest records made. In my opinion.
Eddie Estes

Postby Eddie Estes » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:37 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0janfcZ8LUw

My grandmother had this record. Loved and still love the sound of it.
Eddie Estes

Postby Joe Diamond » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:32 pm

Eddie
Libs are not afraid of Fox. They know a cess-pool when they see it. Check their ratings. They are down 35-40%. Want to know why Rush, under a different name, got fired in Pittsburgh?
Joe Diamond

Postby Eddie Estes » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:46 am

Joe
I am not getting into this with you on here.
I have an email. tae_hee@msn.com
Give it a shot. You will lose!
Eddie
Eddie Estes

PreviousNext

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins