Billy Grammer

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Billy Grammer

Postby rhirvine » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:31 pm

I think this link has been posted before and I'm very thankful because I never would have known how talented Billy Grammer was. When I was a teen trying to find guitar records and such I came across his name but said to myself "Billy Grammer" its probably a fake name trying to conjure up images of the evangelist Billy Graham. He's probably some low talented gospel guitarist" and I never gave him a chance or another thought. I never associated his name with "I've got to travel on" a hit possibly, a crossover hit in 1959. Anyway this rendition of "San Antonio Rose" has become my favorite, Tommy Crooks version not withstanding. I hope you guys enjoy this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4fthTPF8CQ

Rich Irvine
rhirvine

Re: Billy Grammer

Postby Greg Butler » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:24 pm

Billy Grammar was one of my greatest influences as a guitarist. I had both of the Gospel instrumental albums that he recorded when I was a teenager. He was such a clean guitarist, his phrasing was good, and his harmonies were easy on the ears. Although I never met him, I did write to him a couple of years before he died to express my appreciation to him. He kindly answered my letter by sending me a cd. By the way, his Christmas album was good, too.
Greg Butler

Postby rhirvine » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:25 pm

I really missed out. I saw one of his gospel guitar albums at Walich's Music City in Torrance, CA where I grew up and decided against it. I was a nominal christian at the time. I don't think I even listened to it. At Walich's you could listen before you bought with demo albums I guess they were. I bought several Chet Atkins albums there.
rhirvine

Postby Tom Keller » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:00 pm

If I am not mistaken Billy may have been the one to come up with the great detuning guitar lick on Detroit City. Yes, I know Jerry Reed is credited it with it on Bobby Bare's version but Billy actually had recorded the song sometime earlier although he and Bobby both made the Billboard charts in 1963. Billy's version was titled I wanna go home. As always feel free to offer any corrections.

Tom
Tom Keller

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins