Gibson CG 492R style neck pickup

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Gibson CG 492R style neck pickup

Postby Peter Clifton » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:30 am

I am about to place an order with Vintage Vibe for a humbucker pickup to the specs of the above as discussed on another thread in this forum. 5.29K ohm resistance, alnico 2 magnets. Are there any other factors, you guys are aware of, which should be included?
The guy at V Vibe said he thought the pickup would be less powerful than the usual Gibson type 'bucker, but this is not really noticeable to me on my Gibson CG, its more about clarity, and a brighter sound with less woolly bass end. I will be putting the new pickup on a hollowbody jazzer.
Any comments or thoughts welcome.

Peter Clifton
Peter Clifton

Re: Gibson CG 492R style neck pickup

Postby Billy Anderson » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:01 am

Peter, the average ohms for the 492R was 5.7, per Daryl Mosley at Gibson Customer Service ( I got an e-mail response because I bought what I thought was a 492R but was over 7 ohms). 5.29 to 5.7 may not make a difference but I just thought I should let you know what the Gibson spec was. Billy
Billy Anderson

Postby tyguy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:32 pm

Sounds good to me.The volume loss is not noticeable(w/5K+)because,it's in the neck position over the part of string that has maximum vibration(why neck pups usually seem louder than bridge).You can watch this yourself and note the difference in vibration over neck and bridge pup.Also,note how the A string warbles(actually moves side to side more than any other string at around 110 cycles.Our forefolks got it right with the A440(maximum vibration).You don't want anything with a higher ohm reading than that(5K+)'cause you won't get the high end and tone you desire. The best, Ty M.
tyguy

Postby Peter Clifton » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:09 am

Thanks guys,
As my 492R measures 5.29K, and I like the sound of it, I think I'll go with that, although I appreciate the info from Gibson Custom Shop.
Ty- thanks for your suggestions and comments, which confirmed my own thoughts.

Peter Clifton
Peter Clifton

Return to Guitars and Equipment