nylon string guitar

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: nylon string guitar

Postby Mike Nye » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:22 pm

tyguy wrote:
John Trahan wrote:According to this web site review the nut width is 1.89" or 48mm. I have chubby fingers and haven't had a problem with the width or string spacing for left or right hand. I've had mine for 3 or 4 yrs now and had no problem with the laminate separating as of yet. I do keep a humidifier in it when its in the case.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/acoustic_guitars/ibanez/aeg10ne/index.html

Top is not going to delaminate if kept in temp and humidity where you're comfortable.Solid tops are much more fragile than laminated tops.They just usually don't sound as good acoustically(but ususally sound better electrically).Lamination is fortification and if made properly with the right glues and press is MUCH stronger than a solid top. The Best, Ty M.

I've seen 4 or 5 where the plywood had delaminated on the compression side of the top bracing, causing the top to buckle and sometimes crack between the sound hole & fingerboard after about 10-years or so.

My solid spruce top Tama (Ibanez) is still fine after 30+ years. I sold the Ibanez' piezo pick-up & Shaller tuning machines from my dearly departed plywood top Ibanez to a guy from this forum a few years ago. It was a great guitar for about 30-years, but not worth the cost of a top replacement.
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby rosco » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:36 pm

thanks for the help.do you think the ibanez will cut it for playing out in restaurants with an acoustic amp?
rosco

Postby Mike Nye » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:41 pm

rosco wrote:thanks for the help.do you think the ibanez will cut it for playing out in restaurants with an acoustic amp?

ABSOLUTELY ! ! !
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby John Trahan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:04 pm

Rosco,
I play mine thru an Ultrasound 50w amp with an Aphex Acoustic Xciter and get a very nice tone. IMHO it would be very appropriate for the type of setting you describe.
John Trahan

Postby rosco » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:40 pm

to john trahan;i'm also in south jersey;do you play out anywhere?thanks!
rosco

Postby John Trahan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:03 pm

Rosco,
I play for church services every week, sometimes solo stuff for prayer breakfasts, etc. That's about it. Haven't done gigs like you're talking about in a very long time.
John Trahan

Postby rosco » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:24 pm

hi john yeah gigs can be frustrating'.sounds like my kinda set up;i also use an ultrasound 50w.does the aphex help with the sound of your guitar?thanks!
rosco

Postby John Trahan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:42 pm

When I do play out solo, I usually use my Godin Multiac or Seagull Artist with the Ultrasound amp & Aphex Xciter. To my ear the xciter does give a fuller sound and you can tweak the highs and lows to your taste. Here's a link to a video demo by Thom Bresh that will give you a good idea of what the box does.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGVhw1KpZT0
John Trahan

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment