A note to Tom Redmond et al

Need help? Don't know how to embed youtube videos? Can't listen to mp3's on the forum? Problems browsing the Chetboard? Find the solution here!

A note to Tom Redmond et al

Postby thenorm » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:25 pm

I think I’ve hit on some of the reason you no longer have many people posting.
One of the best things about the new board is the link called

View new posts

It is far better than the old board where you had to scroll around looking for red “New” to see the latest posts.

There is a problem however.

Small black fonts on a dark grey background is very hard for some folks to see and some of them, that aren’t too computer sharp, may not even understand what it does. I remember I, myself, didn't see or reckognize it for what it was. Someone had to tell me about it. And even knowing it's there I still have to really focus to hit it.

All too often those who set up websites go for “nice” when what they need to do is make a website that is legible and in the case of many current board guys the eyes ain’t what they used to be.

I was discussing this with a friend that used to post a lot and told him about that link and he replied

“I'm glad to know about the "view new posts" tab. I never saw it before until just now; it's really hard to see in the dark background. I'm pretty sure that's been a turnoff for some of the less PC savvy. I'm betting hardly anyone has seen that tab, let alone the whole row of choices. I'll check in more often…’

So, folks, if you know someone who no longer posts possibly because of this send them an e.mail and be sure they understand this bit of business.

Tom and the others involved in creating the board … I think you need to do a bit of redesign... Sadly, for the sake of the board it may be too late for some who have given up on it.

Just sayin’…
thenorm

Re: A note to Tom Redmond et al

Postby LMark » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:34 pm

Tom, why not just try making "active topics" the default view for a couple of weeks, to see what happens? LMark
LMark

Postby baggetta » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:46 am

Thanks, Norm. I wasn't aware of this option. Certainly makes navigation a lot easier. Hope the posts increase. I've noticed there doesn't seem to be as much activity as before.
best

Al B.
baggetta

Postby Tompicks » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:38 am

Thanks guys. "active topics" is what I view each time I come in. However, A friend with more experience with these boards is helping and we are looking at a couple of other formatting ideas as well.
Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Postby Tompicks » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:44 am

I am changing the "Chetboard.com" web address so it automatically takes folks to the active topics page.
Hopefully that will help a bit.

LMark wrote:Tom, why not just try making "active topics" the default view for a couple of weeks, to see what happens? LMark
Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Postby mel singer » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:45 am

I miss the old forum and all the people that posted on it
mel singer

Postby thenorm » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:08 am

This forum is more user friendly once the user understands a couple of valuable click/links

I like the fact you can edit your responses

"new" is confusing to people particularly those "set in their ways" but it's like anything else, once you understand it you find a new thing can pretty much do the same thing the old ways only better. It's easy once you know how.
thenorm

Postby Shipo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:10 pm

If anyone has trouble reading the default board style you can change to "prosilver" in the user control panel, board preferences, edit global settings. Seems a more traditional forum look.
73 de KB9AH
Jim Shiporski
shipoje@mac.com
Shipo

Postby RonBloor » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:20 pm

I've been trying to understand the reasons why people say " I miss the old forum" ... I must admit that I also felt a certain amount of hesitation to the change. I think it is because of the layers. The old forum was more like what we called a flat file format. You could visualize the posts (and posters) without the layers.. When Tom made the video side on the old forum that was a big leap.. This is a quantum leap compared with that :) , so I certainly understand some of the affectionate feelings for the old forum.
Anyway, after finding out how to navigate the layers, it isn't that bad. In fact it is worth the leap. As Norm has said. Learn those "valuable clicks" .. and now that Tom is taking us directly to the "Active Topics", you don't even need to how to find the new posts. Presto.. you are there. :)
Good work Tom..
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby David Elliott » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:22 pm

I like the fact you can edit your responses

Hi Norm,

Actually, you could also edit responses on the old board, (that's what the preview button was for), and what Doug tried (rather unsuccessfully) to get people to use more often! You can lead a horse to water... :mrgreen:

I think the main reason for fewer posts on this board, is that the topics are 'chopped up' in too many pieces. Personally I didn't think it was any big effort to ascertain what the subject was on the old board, because of the subject line at the top of each post, and it was certainly quicker to determine whether or not you wanted to even read the post, than the new board.

Either way it works fine for me, and I like the fact that you can now utilize the different font capabilities and underlining/color/bolding/sizing/etc. in order to emphasize something you're saying, whereas in the past only the administrator could do this.

All in all, I don't have a problem with the new 'Board, but I didn't have any with the old one!

I do have a question though... What is the purpose of the "Unanswered Posts" button, 'Unread' button, and the 'Friends or Foes' button? This last one seems to add a rather negative aspect to the 'Board'...
David Elliott

Next

Return to Support