Prismatone on recordings

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Prismatone on recordings

Postby Hendrik » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:13 pm

This one is posted before and I mentioned it on my first post in this topic. Here is Bruce Osborne playing a Baldwin with Prismatone on Dolly Parton's Jolene during the Porter Wagoner Show in 1974.

Dolly Parton - Jolene

Here is Glen Campbell playing Classical Gas on a Ovation Country Artist with Prismatone in 1977 with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

Glen Campbell - Classical Gas
Hendrik

Postby Bluebird_12 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:35 am

There is also a video of Glen C and Carl Jackson playing the original Country Boy as well. Carl is playing one of Glen's initialed Ovation 1624 guitars and he is rippin' it up big time.

I would post it to Youtube if I could figure out how to convert the dvd files to flv. that YT uses.

Wayne
Bluebird_12

Postby Vidar Lund » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:43 pm

Here´s another one of Glen and Carl, Duelling Banjos recorded in 1973. I remember seeing this from a TV show in London back then, Glen commenting that is wasn´t bad for such a young boy, and asked us to notice that "not once did his fingers leave his hands". Logs of good humour as well as excellent musicianship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5vfw5f1CZo
Vidar Lund

Postby Bluebird_12 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:35 pm

Well, I managed to upload the video I mentioned above. You can really hear the Prismatone sound in this one and it is certainly the best representation of the Ovation/Prismatone combination that I know of.

Carl Jackson's amazing playing doesn't hurt the sound any, either!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnbV1ZUs ... e=youtu.be

Wayne
Bluebird_12

Postby Hendrik » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:26 pm

Thanks a lot for uploading that video Wayne. Carl is quite a picker indeed... This is definitely a good showcase of how the Ovation sounds with the Prismatone.
Hendrik

Postby Hendrik » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:22 am

Here is Dolly playing the song Gypsy, Joe and Me on a Baldwin. It's probably Bruce Osborne's guitar, cause he played it on Jolene during the same broadcast of the Porter Wagoner Show in 1974.

Dolly Parton - Gypsy, Joe and Me
Hendrik

Postby Hendrik » Wed May 15, 2013 8:34 am

Here is the only evidence I could find of Charlie Byrd playing a Prismatone fitted guitar. It isn't a Baldwin, but it has a Baldwin pickup. I think he removed the pickup from the promotional guitar (800C) he received from the Baldwin Co. and installed it on his regular guitar. This was probably a few years before Baldwin made the 801CP. Willie Nelson was also one of those who received a Baldwin 800C. The pickup from that one got on his "Trigger".

Charlie Byrd live at the Newport Jazz Festival with his Prismatone fitted guitar

Willie Nelson live at the Palomino Club in Los Angeles with his Baldwin 800C
Last edited by Hendrik on Wed May 15, 2013 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hendrik

Postby Hendrik » Wed May 15, 2013 8:39 am

And here is Dolly Parton on the Porter Wagoner Show. This is probably from 1974 were she performed Gypsy, Joe and Me unplugged on a Baldwin 801CP (probably Bruce Osborne's).

Dolly Parton on the Porter Wagoner Show with a Baldwin 801CP
Hendrik

Postby Norm » Wed May 15, 2013 9:29 am

Rare shot of her.

...didn't have her nails done. Must have played a little more guitar than usual.

She "did" Dolly Parton very well. I don't think people realize the skill it took to do that act and rise from just being "another girl singer"
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment