Members of original Chet Atkins Fan Club.

Need help? Don't know how to embed youtube videos? Can't listen to mp3's on the forum? Problems browsing the Chetboard? Find the solution here!

Members of original Chet Atkins Fan Club.

Postby videovejjie » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:13 pm

Just wondering, how many of Margaret Field's Chet Atkins Fan Club members, are still around, and are they ever on the Chetboard? I became a member in 1957, and went to my first convention in 1959. The following year the club was disbanded. There were about 20 members or so at the '59 convention, and the highlight of the trip was being at Studio A, when Chet was recording BOO BOO STICK BEAT. My Dad was with me and a friend, but there weren't many pictures taken by us, but about 7 or 8. That was the best time ever.
Ron Vejvoda
videovejjie

Re: Members of original Chet Atkins Fan Club.

Postby David Elliott » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:09 pm

videovejjie wrote:Just wondering, how many of Margaret Field's Chet Atkins Fan Club members, are still around, and are they ever on the Chetboard? I became a member in 1957, and went to my first convention in 1959. The following year the club was disbanded.
Ron Vejvoda

Hey Ron,
I joined Margaret's group in 1958 or '59 I believe, but never got to the Convention (I lived in Colorado at that time.) Finally met up with the late Jim Ferron as soon as I found out he'd started the CAAS but didn't make it back to Nashville for a convention until 1989. For the first time in many years I didn't renew my membership last year however. After Chet passed away, (and now Paul Yandell) it just wasn't the same for me, and I'm not a big fan of Gypsy guitar playing.

David
David Elliott

Postby baggetta » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:15 am

Hi, guys. Just a note to let the new visitors here that you can relive the old Chet Atkins fan club through Margaret's newsletters. I have most of them posted at my site, thanks to the help of several of the members of this board and others.
Al B.
http://208.68.104.115/baggetta/ChetAtkins/Gallopin%20Guitar%20News/GallopinGuitarNews.htm
baggetta

Postby Dwayne Monroe » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:50 pm

Hi Ron,
I joined the original Chet fan club in 1955. Attended the 1955, 56 & 57 conventions. Had a great time at all.
I would estimate we had attendance of 30 - 35 at our conventions and most stayed at hotels downtown.
12 cent hamburgers at the Krystal was our main fare. Had time for lots of sight seeing and the highlight
was Chet's playing for us at the RCA studios on Saturday afternoons, and of course attending the GOO. Joe Edwards
attended the conventions and played a big Gibson with three pickups. Resembled a Gibson 400. He wore great big thick glasses back then. There was a guy by the name of Mike Roberts who was a real good picker. Haven't heard whatever happened to him.
There was a girl singer by the name of Jo Davis that Chet "discovered" at one of these conventions and she
went on to perform as a regular on the Jimmy Dean show. I believe she was from Eau Claire, Wi.
I'd love to do that again. Cheap hamburgers and all. Thanks for reminding me!

Dwayne
Dwayne Monroe

Postby videovejjie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Thanks to those that responded to my inquiry of the original Chet Atkins Fan Club. Just a couple of responses, I was hoping for more. Yes all the great names are gone that were the reason for the club, but it still goes on, just that the music is now different. Where are the rest of the original members? I have seen some when I have gone to the CAAS convention, and some that I know, don't want to deal with the way the Fretboard is with the format that is now being used. I have been a member of this group(CAAS)since 1990, and have just missed the past three years. I hope I get to go again, but you never know what is in store for you.
Ron Vejvoda
videovejjie

Postby Joe Diamond » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:28 pm

I joined Margaret's group around 1957 and stayed with it until the end. In 1958, I bought a 1957 Gretsch 6120. Chet and Paul Bigsby both worked on a stationary Bigsby handle for the guitar. I sold the guitar in 1964 and have never seen it again and cannot remember who I sold it to. Stupid mistake.
Joe Diamond

Postby videovejjie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Hey Joe...I had both a '56 6120 which I traded for the a Country Gent in 1958. They both were great guitars. I know where the Gent is, but they won't resell it to me. I needed money at the time. Talk about stupid, you don't even come close to me!!
Ron Vejvoda
videovejjie

Postby jimmy45 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:50 am

hahahaaa*-*-*-88-*-*-*-
I was able to prove myself best with the help of the pass-4sure.info in my TOEFL for more information Rockefeller University for more detail wikipedia
jimmy45

Postby Joe Diamond » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:42 am

videovejjie wrote:Hey Joe...I had both a '56 6120 which I traded for the a Country Gent in 1958. They both were great guitars. I know where the Gent is, but they won't resell it to me. I needed money at the time. Talk about stupid, you don't even come close to me!!
Ron Vejvoda

Ron
I too needed money in 1964 and sold the 6120 for $250 complete with the stationary vibrato arm that Chet and Paul Bigsby made for me. Have no idea who I sold the guitar to and would love to find out. I guess we were all stupid at times in our lives.
Joe Diamond

Postby David Elliott » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:06 pm

Joe Diamond wrote:Ron
I too needed money in 1964 and sold the 6120 for $250 complete with the stationary vibrato arm that Chet and Paul Bigsby made for me. Have no idea who I sold the guitar to and would love to find out. I guess we were all stupid at times in our lives.

Hey Joe,

I'll give you one for the "stupid contest"...although it has nothing to do with guitars.

The first time I got a deer in Colorado's big game season, I was so enthralled, that after field dressing the animal and loading it in the back of my jeep, I happily drove off, leaving my brand new Winchester rifle on top of the vehicle...

Needless to say, it was some other hunter's lucky day! :roll: :oops: :x

David
David Elliott

Next

Return to Support