Londonderry Air

A place to share your music! Post and view audio links.

Londonderry Air

Postby rhudson » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:47 pm

This is one of the most beautiful melodies. I borrowed quite a lot from Chet's arrangement, especially at the beginning. Chet always seemed to know how to get the most out of any song, and it seemed that he always did something to let you know where the song came from and what it was about. I really miss those times when I used to go to the record store and scour through the albums to see if Chet had anything new out. It was always such a thrill to sit down in front of the record player and hear his new album for the first time.

This goes by Danny Boy also. As a matter of fact, that is probably what the song is best known by. Dottie Rambo also wrote some Christian lyrics to the same melody and called it He Looked Beyond My Fault And Saw My Need.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks,
Richard

https://www.box.com/s/vyuksqadcta0aajon044
rhudson

Re: Londonderry Air

Postby BillB » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:30 am

Real nice job there, Richard!!
You sure do get some clean recordings. I wish I knew more about your setup.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby rhudson » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:34 am

Bill, you would probably laugh if you saw how simple and primitive my recording setup is. I think the secret, if there are any, is to have a good ear and know what you want to hear and go after it.

Thank you for the kind words.
rhudson

Postby JeffS » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:41 am

Nice job Richard. I really like your arrangement. That is one of my favorite songs that Chet did - I really liked his version on Chet Atkins Alone. The electric guitar in drop-D tuning really sounded good - he painted a picture in my mind of him sitting alone with his guitar and recording that song. I really hear the emotion and expression in his playing.

As you mentioned, I can't hear that song without thinking of Dottie Rambo's lyrics. They are so moving and have so much truth in them.

Thanks for posting this. It's a nice start to the new week.

Jeff Stovall
JeffS

Postby Richard Hudson » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:17 am

Thank you, Jeff. I took a listen to the Alone recording that you mentioned, and as usual Chet came up with a lot of uniqueness, or Chetique. He also had a nylon string version later in standard tuning that he started in "B" and modulated to "C." I used those same chords, but that's about where the similarity ends. I'm not even in the same solar system with Chet, when it comes to playing guitar. I'm not sure if the version I am talking about is a released version or not. I can't remember for sure where I heard it.

I appreciate you listening.

Thanks,
Richard
Richard Hudson

Postby JeffS » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:54 pm

I remember three didtinctly different versions. The first was on Chet Atkins in 3-D, the second on Chet Atkins Alone, and the third was the triplet arrangement that Chet said was inspired by Eric Johnson's playing. I don't remeber which album, but it was one of the later ones. The three versions are all completely different; I guess they really show Chet's desire to constantly learn new techniques and continue to grow as a player.

Jeff Stovall
JeffS

Return to Audio files