Gibson CG Pups on Ebay

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Gibson CG Pups on Ebay

Postby Billy Anderson » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:35 pm

Just an update to let everyone know I contacted the seller and he agreed to refund my money upon receipt of the pups. I put off shipping for a few days and kept playing the guitar while I determined if I really wanted to return them. I had the tech change the pups and actually ended up with a pretty good fingerpicking sound, especially on the store's Roland 30X. I have decided to keep the pups and send a letter to Santa requesting a 30X for Christmas. One never knows, do one? Thanks to all who offered advice, roadmaps and sympathy. KOPAP. Billy
Billy Anderson

Postby Billy Anderson » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:21 pm

The Seeker, Chapter 39 (sorry about that, Kris). I just received a message from the seller advising that he has contacted the original owner to get to the bottom of the Case of the Extra-Hot TN pups. Seems the original owner claims these are in fact the original 490T/492R's but he failed to tell my seller that he returned the pups to Gibson to have them hotrodded to higher ohms. I don't know if this is feasable, possible or verifiable but it is not desirable and is just plain terrible as far as I am concerned. My seller is still indicating he is going to give me a partial refund through PayPal since I really did not get exactly what I was after. If, per chance, the tale is true, is it possible to take them back down to the original specs? I don't think our local tech can handle this so I would have to send them back to Gibson which I really do not want to do. Any info would be appreciated, such as doable, cost, etc. Thanks. Billy
Billy Anderson

Postby tyguy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Billy Anderson wrote:The Seeker, Chapter 39 (sorry about that, Kris). I just received a message from the seller advising that he has contacted the original owner to get to the bottom of the Case of the Extra-Hot TN pups. Seems the original owner claims these are in fact the original 490T/492R's but he failed to tell my seller that he returned the pups to Gibson to have them hotrodded to higher ohms. I don't know if this is feasable, possible or verifiable but it is not desirable and is just plain terrible as far as I am concerned. My seller is still indicating he is going to give me a partial refund through PayPal since I really did not get exactly what I was after. If, per chance, the tale is true, is it possible to take them back down to the original specs? I don't think our local tech can handle this so I would have to send them back to Gibson which I really do not want to do. Any info would be appreciated, such as doable, cost, etc. Thanks. Billy

Sending pups back to Gibson for rewind would probably cost an astronomical amount of money(not feasible).I'd get an original wind 4k Filtertron,Gretsch or TV for neck.Bridge pup doesn't matter that much as long as it's high quality.Glad you're getting money back. The best, Ty M.
tyguy

Postby Billy Anderson » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:54 pm

Ty, it just so happens I had the winning (only) eBay bid on a MRG neck pup yesterday. This may be the answer to my problem. I listened to Mark's audio with the MRG's and it should be close enough for me. Thanks for the input. Billy
Billy Anderson

Postby tyguy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:26 pm

Billy Anderson wrote:Ty, it just so happens I had the winning (only) eBay bid on a MRG neck pup yesterday. This may be the answer to my problem. I listened to Mark's audio with the MRG's and it should be close enough for me. Thanks for the input. Billy

Mark can play too!A lot of good tone is in the hands and heart.Sounds really good. The Best, Ty M.
tyguy

Postby Peter Clifton » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:18 am

Billy, you could alwys get the higher resistande pickup rewound to 5K with alnico 2 magnets by one of the smaller pickup repairers and use the other one for the bridge. A request posted on the Gear Page would get you lots of names of people who could rewind for you, in your area. I live in the UK, so the ones I know would be no help!

Peter Clifton
Peter Clifton

Postby Billy Anderson » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:31 pm

Thanks for the info, Peter. I will look into that. I would like to get the neck pup close to specs. I seldom use the bridge pup so no problem there. Thanks again. Billy
Billy Anderson

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment