Guitar Interface to Computer

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Guitar Interface to Computer

Postby Vidar Lund » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:51 am

JJ, what Mac and OS do you have? Mine is a Mac Book 2.1 with OS 10.4.11. Do you think mine would need upgrading?
Vidar Lund

Postby J J Harmon » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:58 pm

Sorry I'm slow getting back. I'm upgrading mine to snow leopard. I've been using it on PC.

I'll try to get the requirements for you.
J J Harmon

proTools SE

Postby J J Harmon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:34 am

Here are the requirements for MAC

Minimum System Requirements (Mac)

Mac OS X 10.5.8 or greater, or Mac OS X 10.6.1 or greater
1.8 GHz multi-core processor
5400 RPM hard drive
1 GB RAM
1 available USB port for included hardware
Adobe Flash Player 10 (free at adobe.com)

That is leopard with free download upgrade or snow leopard

I ordered and should get snow leopard today for $19 from Apple.
J J Harmon

Postby Mike Nye » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:16 am

I'd been working on my Granddaughters' (twins) Christmas present. I'd told 'em if they bought the hardware & software, I'd build the PC, install & configure everything. Their father even remodeled their guest room over the garage, that'd been used for storage, into a studio soundproofed with Sonex acoustic wall & ceiling insulation and thick throw-rugs for the floor to dampen low-fequency standing waves. It turned out really nice, for about the cost of a bathroom re-model.

They'd been saving money for software & hardware for the past year and a half, so I just finished building them a dual-motherboard Windows 7 PC mega-tower (12 PCI/E interfaces) with TWO 1500W processor temperature-sensing power supplies, dual Intel i7 Dual-Quad Processors with 30GB of RAM, (each board) FOUR 2TB (1GB buffer) SATA hard drives, TWO (independent) circulating liquid/vapor alcohol CPU cooling units (with external condensing towers) & TEN high-flow ducted cooling fans to keep the motherboards & peripheral cards cool & stable.

Picking & choosing combinations of modelers with a digital patchbay is like being locked in a candy store over the weekend ! ! !

They'd been using an 8-channel (Line 6, if my memory serves me) inboard A/D bus with their present computer, so I needed to put something together that's also compatible with the new software, as well as be upgradeable & expandable when the time comes to add other modelers & emulators.

I'd even chipped in and got 'em a 40" LCD TV/Monitor from buy.com that was on special for $199.00, (including shipping) as there's just too many device GUis to easily view on a 24" screen. (well, at least with my old fart eyesight) I just finished & shipped everything (except the monitor, it was drop-shipped) a few days ago, so now I have room to move around again . . .

For starters, this is the majority of the software/hardware they'd bought with their part-time job (McD's & occasional local party gig) money. It can get a bit overwhelming and kinda pricey, but if seventeen (soon to be 18) year old girly-girls dig it, seasoned professionals like yourselves would really have a blast with this stuff ! ! !

It's alotta fun to play with, and you're constantly learning something new evertime you use it ! ! !

http://www.uaudio.com/uad-plug-ins.html
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby RonBloor » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:39 am

I know this is an old topic... but today Musician's Friend has a special on an interface for recording via your USB port directly into your computer... it comes with some SW that looks interesting
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... ing-system
if you buy it today from their "Stupid Deal of the Day" it is $99.99 minus their usual 15%(labor day coupon), so basically $85 with free shipping
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid/
All of this is probably a moot point in that you all probably have your own means of recording into your Windows System, but if you are just starting and want something pretty basic... This might work for you.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby RandeDager » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:07 am

Ron, as you probably know, I've never had any success with using any software to record with my PC so I'm waiting to afford a MAC and it could happen within months. I already have a very generous offer to acquire the latest version of Logic as part of my purchase and will be going that route instead, despite what I understand to be a fairly steep learning curve. I appreciate you finding what you did though. Under normal circumstances I'd be very tempted.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby RonBloor » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:34 am

You're welcome Rande.. I'm not a MAC person, but I understand that others get very good results using them for their "recording studio".. so to speak. MACs are very user friendly... so I'm told :)
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby Mike Nye » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:21 pm

One factor that's often overlooked is HOW MUCH computing power you have, and what type of software/hardware interface combinations you're planning on using with a specific software. In other words: Don't take a gun (powerful software) to a knife (underpowered computer) fight, as the software always wins ! ! !

If you have a computer with an outdated processor and postage stamp hard drive & memory -you're screwed Right out of the gate, you'll be lying face down in the dirt with a back fulla hoof prints ! ! !

BEFORE you buy ANY software go to their website for product information. If you can't find what you're looking for call their customer service, or go to their website to peruse the user forums and post questions you have, as there's most always tech support people constantly monitoring them to make sure questions are answered accurately.
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby keener » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:17 pm

Ron,

I appreciate the Musicians Friend link. I went ahead and ordered it, so if it's not any good, I'm coming after you. :)

Thanks for posting it.

Thanks to all in fact. Lots of good stuff in this thread.

Bruce
keener

Postby Roger Hardin » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:42 am

I just built a new system that I plan on running windows and Mountain Lion on (as a Hackintosh). I had been using an older M-audio card for years but needed something that would work in both windows and Mac. I picked up a Roland Quad- Capture usb 2 audio interface last week. No complaints so far. The preamps sound good, the Auto-Sens is something I am wondering how I ever lived without, and the Drivers are rock solid. Just thought I would share my experience. I picked mine up for $269, that seems to be the going street price.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-Quad ... 1882535.gc
Roger Hardin

PreviousNext

Return to Guitars and Equipment