Del Vecchio For Sale

Del Vecchio For Sale

Postby PhilHunt » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:48 pm

Saw this Del Vecchio for sale on ebay...it's similar to mine but darker.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Del-Vec ... 4606c94801
PhilHunt

Re: Del Vecchio For Sale

Postby alexjones » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:08 am

Man, the variability in these guitars just amazes me. It seems each new one I see is different. Just goofy! By the way the DV project is coming along smoothly, we have got all of our measurements and are going to begin making the molds today! I will keep you updated.

Question for you, Craig or anyone. What scale length should we use? I know I hear everyone talking about the short scales, but how short? Like 24.5? Does anyone know what Chet's was? Thanks!
Alex
alexjones

Postby craigdobbins » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:34 am

Alex-

Mine is around 25 1/4". The neck is a little over 1 7/8". I think you need at least that much width on a DV. One I had before was a full 2", a little wide for a steel string.

Chet's first two were short scale (the one on the cover of "My Favorite Guitars" that he gave to Earl K., and the "good one" with the V cutouts that he recorded with so much). Paul McGill would probably know the exact scale. I think it was just under 24" or thereabouts, very short. The DV he used in the 90's (the one Doyle gave him, with the metal screens) was long scale.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby PhilHunt » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:58 pm

Alex,
Mine is the same measurements as Craigs....1 7/8 at the nut and about 25 1/4 scale. Body is 4" thick. It is funny how you can get about 10 Del Vecchios in a room together and they pretty much all will be different in some sort of way.

The short scale one that Steve Ledford has is a real honey of a guitar. Although it amazes me how Chet could play that thing, it's almost like playing a baby taylor. It's easy to overshoot the runway on it when playing because of the extra short scale that you're not use to.
PhilHunt

Postby RandeDager » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:49 pm

Phil, I really liked your performance of "Understand Your Man" using your Del Vecchio. I do remember that sound on Chet's recording.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby John A » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:37 pm

I have the scale lengths on the 'short' scale version in an article about it. Let me find it and I will post it or send
a copy of the article about the different versions. The short scale is shorter that has been mentioned in here so far.
Remember; the shorter scale, the strings will bend easier.
John A

Postby John A » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:33 pm

Here it is.

Del Vecchio Guitar

Article written by Jim Alday in March 86 Guitar Player magazine. It also give a ‘pictorial’ breakdown of the guitar dissembled.

Here are the specs:

Type of Instrument: 6-string resonator acoustic guitar
Body: Rosewood
Neck: Mahogany with rosewood spline
Fingerboard: Rosewood (essentially flat)
Number of frets: 21 (plus zero fret)
Bridge: Aluminum saddle in circular rosewood block
Scale length: 22 7/8” (58.1 cm) Long Scale Optional
Strings: Silk-and-steel (light-gauge)
Truss rod: none
Body width: Upper bout--10 ½”; lower bout--14 1/8”
Body depth: 4 1/16”
Overall length: 36 ¼”
Weight: 4 ½ lb

Now; if anybody is interested, I’ll try to download the entire article so one of you that know how to do all this can re-post it here. There are photos also

(Thanks for all this info to me is from Bill Hatcher)

John A

Return to FOR SALE or TRADE