Guitar Interface to Computer

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Guitar Interface to Computer

Postby Eddie Estes » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Working on learning Pro Tools 8. Have Mbox 2 interface.
It is hard but I will get it.
Eddie Estes

Postby RandeDager » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:17 pm

Eddie, as long as your only issue is to learn the software, you should be fine. If you have no problem making a clean initial recording with no distortion and all you have to do is to learn the processing and post-production work, then you're way ahead of the game. I've never had a recording decent enough to edit! I'm not interested in working with an initial "garbage" sounding recording.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Norm » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:40 pm

From personal experience I agree with Rande pretty much.

Practice is the thing. Getting the initial track as clean as possible is the first thing.
Second thing is to copy that and save it as a separate project.
Paste the copy into a new project and fool around and experiment with that. Your original track is safe so you can go banannas on the copied track as you figure out what makes the program work.

Trust me...it gets easier over time particularly when you learn how to punch in to correct errors
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby RandeDager » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:19 pm

I was always amazed at the stories I've read and heard about how Chet could splice his tape with such precision and produce a clean continuous recording totally "mistake free". He did things the hard way in the old days and still
managed to remain flawless. With today's digital technology it should be much easier but with the high degree of flexibility and such a large array of options comes an unavoidable learning curve.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby GaryL » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:51 am

John,
I've been working on recording directly to computer for a few years and have tried a lot of equipment, but not the one you mentioned. I've used both Audacity and Band-in-a-Box as the computer program to record to. I like Audacity better because you can record at a high bit rate and you can convert the files to many formats (mp3, wav, etc). I've used the MAudio convertor (24 bit) going into the computer and that really helped a lot, but not good enough for me with my gretsch. I've got no complaints recording with a mike that way. I've also tried lots of equipment in the chain, reverb units, eq's, mike preamp with direct boxes, delay pedals and so on.

So far what I really like and am having a blast with and great results is Fenders new amp the Super Champ X2 (I bought the amp head and connect a speaker from another amp to it for now). You plug your guitar into the amp and go into your PC via USB. You have to load the Fender Fuse program on your PC and that lets you tweak the amp and all kinds of effects. So the recording chain is simple - guitar, amp, PC. And when you don't record, you still have a great amp. I'm using that amp all the time now. You can hear what I did with it on the audio page (Abbey Walk). I love that song and it took about 10 minutes to record that unpolished. The amp by itself is really great. One mistake fender made was not including the usb cord. I had to go to Radio Shack to pick one up, not expensive, but an inconvience.

Good luck.
GaryL
GaryL

Postby J J Harmon » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:44 am

I went to Guitar Centers class Sat on Pro Tools and just ordered AVID's Recording Studio for $59 from Musician's Friend. I hope it does what the instructor showed. Also the class is continuing for weeks to come.
J J Harmon

Postby Vidar Lund » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:33 am

Vidar Lund

Postby Norm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:22 am

That's it, Vidar.

That, Audacity recording program and a lot of trial and error.

I have my relevant connecting cables right at hand. When I want to record something I just connect the interface up and open Audacity. Takes less than two minutes.

When I'm done I just uplug it all and chuck the interface in a drawer.

No tone control whatsoever except for the variable offered by the pickup selector switch. I think my old Gentleman sounds pretty good tone-wise, even in the hands of this old, out-of-practice guitar player. (I use the term "guitar player" loosely)
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby J J Harmon » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:12 pm

Vidar, That's what I got for $59. It came in yesterday and my Mac needs upgrade. I put it on my notebook and got some static. At GC they had a lot of static. I was using midi so that may be the problem. What I want is to record from my VG99 and see how close I can come to a DelVeccio.
J J Harmon

Postby Russ B » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:29 pm

Hey, I just got a Presonus 1818vsl for working with an iPad, and the Auria DAW. I have not tried it with the pc, but it is a great product. They do make smaller versions. I have also used iRig, but this Presonus looks great. They do include the Studio one artist software to download on to the pc. I believe the biggest issue was the USB port. It had to be 2.0, presonus has problems with 3.0, but should have corrected that with an update.
Russ B

PreviousNext

Return to Guitars and Equipment