Guitar Interface to Computer

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Guitar Interface to Computer

Postby John A » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:48 pm

I've been looking for a good way to 'plug' my guitar into the computer. I saw this
last night and wondered if anyone has had any experience with this company and
their product.

It is GTR PRS Ingterface. Although this is the 'transfer' to the computer; they list more
with program and DVD training video on how to record. Again, has anyone had any
experience with this product?

Thanks to all that can give me an input. John
John A

Re: Guitar Interface to Computer

Postby Randy Finney » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:26 pm

I have been using the StealthPlug for quite a while. I also use the iRig and the iRig Midi. All work great for me.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/cat-view.php?C=guitar-and-bass

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby Norm » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:12 pm

I have an M-Audio interface... bare bones, dog simple guitar jack, mic jaclk, headphones jack and a volume knob for mic or guitar and an overall output volume knob

I use it with Audacity (free recording program) to good effect
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby RonBloor » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:58 pm

Hi John.. I can't answer questions about the GTR PRS you saw, but I've been using various USB external sound interfaces for some time. For the last year or so I've had an M-AUDIO MobilePre... It's a 2 channel device with Mic and Headphone outputs. I think I paid $79 for it from Musician's Friend. I'm not sure if it is the same as what Norm has, but it is the most useful "sound card" interface that I've found for connecting my guitar (and other devices) directly into the computer. For what it's worth.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby Norm » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:07 am

without looking I think mine is likely the less frills unit, as I said, bare bones. Just three knobs.

Between that and audacity, I've been having a great time making audio and youtube things
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

That should do it.
Norm

Postby RandeDager » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:48 pm

Until I can purchase a Mac, I might look into this interface. I've already learned the hard way what it's like to plug directly into my computer....lol.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby John A » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:16 am

Sounds interesting. Could you eliberate? Something bad happen?
John A

Postby Norm » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:49 am

When I tried going in direct it didn't work well due to an impedance issue as I recall. Rande no doubt has his own war story to tell

That should do it.
Norm

Postby RandeDager » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:15 pm

Norm, I have an entire series of "war stories" to tell! I'm talking about everything from being told that my operating system isn't compatible, to needing a dedicated USB 2.0 port, to requiring a special audio interface, and the list goes on and on. I've basically given up even trying to record with the PC platform and will patiently wait to afford a Mac. I may try the M-Audio interface that you suggested, but I have yet to see any plans work out for recording on my PC. What keeps me going is the belief that people will like what I do. Based upon what I've heard posted here in this forum and what I've seen and heard at the CAAS conventions, I'm just enough different to draw interest. Chet was flattered by people who worked hard to learn his style and were able to reproduce his tunes but he was most interested in those who were unique and had something to offer of their own. I love arranging and creating. There are plenty of licks out their to add to our "toolboxes" but to incorporate these things into new material and a fresh sound is the challenge that I accepted many years ago.

I enjoy the process of putting a song together. Sometimes I'll do it during a performance. I performed a medley for church this weekend and had a basic framework of my ideas but didn't figure out any details until I was on the platform and going through my medley. The contributions from people on this board, and all of the recorded material that I have available to me made it possible. I had a large "pool" of musical ideas to draw from and found it to be a process of choosing what felt right at the moment for each step along the way.

Audie Wykle has heard a little of what I'm talking about. Hopefully I'll be in a position to share here.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby RandeDager » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:23 pm

John, I didn't mean to ignore your question. What happened when I plugged directly into my computer was nothing but a big garbled mess. I was so careful to play through my entire song with basically no mistakes and once I listened to it afterward, I quickly realized that I had wasted all my time and effort. I believe that it was an impedance issue, as Norm had mentioned.
Rande
RandeDager

Next

Return to Guitars and Equipment