"A Father's Love" New Version by D.P. for Father's Day

A place to share your music! Post and view audio links.

"A Father's Love" New Version by D.P. for Father's Day

Postby Wes Southerland » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Hi folks,
Just thought I would share a song David said he has been working hard to perfect. He has played it on a few albums in the past but the new keyboard has put a different spin on the recording. I spoke with him about the song and he said he wrote it for his father. Father's Day was just Sunday so it was a good time to share this work. A real original sound on this one. Hope ya'll like it. He did all parts himself on his Yamaha Tyros 4.
Attachments
a fathers love.mp3
(5.68 MiB) Downloaded 749 times
Wes Southerland

Re: "A Father's Love" New Version by D.P. for Father's Day

Postby lj musall » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:51 pm

Verly nice,Wes
Lj.
lj musall

Postby Mew8510 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:10 pm

I recently got engaged and the title of this post caught my eye. My dad is quite possibly one of the biggets Chet fans ever and I always remember as a child hearing him play Chet tunes on his guitar all the time. I would love to surprise him and have a Chet Atkins tune for our father daughter dance. Do you have any suggestions of songs that would fit this occasion nicely?
Mew8510

Postby Wes Southerland » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:34 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BIF8yBh ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_xG2fTf ... re=related

David's tune is a really nice one he wrote for his father. It has a great sound and I hope we will hear more like it from him in the future. He is a talented artist with good musical ideas.

I was thinking about your request for a Chet song. You can't go wrong with the tune "Vincent" also known as "Starry Starry Night" for a romantic slow dance. I always thought that was his prettiest tune and I think it will fit your situation. I have included two versions above. The first on a classical from the 70s and the second from 1994 on his Gibson Studio Classic, which is a great sound! I also thought that as you are leaving the Church you could play Chets "The Masterpiece" as you and your bride exit the scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipLlBHyC ... 09D95016D2

Good luck with your wedding,
Wes
Wes Southerland

Postby picker68 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:07 pm

Wes,
I listen to "Father's Love" and its wonderful. What do you mean when you said he is doing all the parts himself on a Tyros 4? I hear 2 guitar players and they both are excellent. MR
picker68

Postby Wes Southerland » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:35 pm

The Tyros 4 is a keyboard made by Yamaha and according to David he did all the parts of the song. I believe thats right but I can't be completely sure. I listened to the track again and I know that he did all the guitar work layered as multitrack and I assume the same was done by him with the other instrument parts. Maybe he will chime in and tell us how many parts and what all went into the recording. I would like to see video of it being done. It is definately above my level of musicianship.
Wes Southerland

Postby picker68 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:26 pm

Wes,
You are saying David Paul is doing everything I am hearing? Both of the guitar parts and all of the background? I been playing for years and I have never heard of One Guy doing backgrounds and on top playing the guitar? Wes, that is hard to believe & I am very excited on hearing more of that music. I did see your post on him under "The Way You Make Me Feel" & watched him play "The Tyros 4". It and he are great yes, but I didn't see how the other parts were being done & also what amp he is using to get that sweet sound on that Gent? MR
picker68

Postby BlueGuitar » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:23 am

Greetings,

I have received several questions on how I do everything in my recordings especially w/ the Yamaha Tyros 4. I will break it down for you in parts. I can tell you its not easy for me. Many hours have been given just for trial and error to ideas of presentation and emotional crescendo's into this song. Example "Father's Love" In this particular piece there are the equivalent of following created on Yamaha's Tyros 4 (which in many ways is a trigger for real samples) /10 violins, 6 violas, 1 piano w/ high octave's fills, (*1 electric bass played by myself). (*1 high string rhythm guitar played by myself), 7 or 8 singers doing in Ha's in harmony, 1 electric keyboard(Sparklestack) and a CE Pan left 35% playing lead and my 59 Gretsch pan 25% right countering the lead w/ fills. To create this effect of more singers or violins lines at once you can use the Multi pad control feature and also double the performance for even greater effect of stereo and numbers that instruments for curb appeal. PLEASE NOTE: Especially w/ Supertron-Pickups this is the best reverb setting I found so far for response in recording your 59 Gretsch! Remember A reverb is no more than a delay unit which simulates reverberation.Try these and see.....
Settings/

Type-Plate

Time-2.3s

PreDly-40ms

Density-50

HPF-thru-LPF-9.0HZ (high& low pass filter)

A LPF filter is a filter that lets frequencies (below the cutoff) frequency through and attenuates all frequencies above the Cutoff frequency. A HPF filter does the exact opposite of a LPF filter.

FX-LVL-72

Gate-off

ALSO NOTE There are no amps used ever live or in recordings. A Roland 2480 HD Model Year 2006 is only used! Enclosing this first part 1/ I love my 59 Nashville Classic, but I've found that 2 Supertrons will be better for live concerts only. You can use a higher ratio w/ your compressor. Recording- I'm still trying to experiment and will let you know, but what a guitar that Chet made for us! tks ....dp
BlueGuitar

Postby RandeDager » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:45 pm

Not to downplay or redirect the significance of Tommy E.'s comment, but could he possibly have been referring to"Mr. Paul Yandell?" Don't worry, I know that David is very good.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby RandeDager » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:33 pm

I hope that for your sake Tommy will be doing the entire performance by himself. My wife and I went to see him in Kalamazoo two years ago and out of a 2 hour concert we got to hear him alone for maybe about 30 min. The first 45 min. or so was Frank Vignola, who does an excellent job with a flat pick, but he isn't who I paid for. Then Tommy came out for 30 min., followed by another 45 min. with Frank and Tommy combined. My wife wasn't impressed overall. Her interest was due to the concert DVD we saw of Tommy performing at the Sheldon Hall in St. Louis. He played no more than one or two of those and the rest were things I wouldn't have chosen but I know that he's recorded. We decided not to take a chance when he came last year in 2011 and probably won't this year either.

I AM a guitarist. My recording engineer friend who lives in Nashville went to see Tommy on my recommendation and got to see him solo for the entire 2 hours and HE is NOT a guitarist! I know, who said life is fair?.....lol.
Rande
RandeDager

Return to Audio files