Lost Tab At CAAS

Need help? Don't know how to embed youtube videos? Can't listen to mp3's on the forum? Problems browsing the Chetboard? Find the solution here!

Lost Tab At CAAS

Postby bill_h » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:32 pm

I lost a book of Merle Travis transcriptions in the lobby at CAAS. It's called "The Guitar Of Merle Travis Volume 1" by Michel Lelong. Just in case anyone who frequents the board may have picked it up, I'd really appreciate having it back. Checked at the registration desk and the hotel desk both to see if it might have turned up. No luck.
bill_h

Re: Lost Tab At CAAS

Postby J J Harmon » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:26 pm

There are thieves at CAAS. This year I didn't get ripped off but the last 2 I did. Now I get my stuff under lock and key as quick as possible. Even though I have Bill Spann and Evelyn Simmons wathing my stuff in the main room they act fast.
J J Harmon

Postby BillB » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:31 pm

I heard of two people who lost clip-on tuners at CAAS. One of them was taken off of the guitar. Overall, the folks at CAAS are top-notch, but there are always those in this world that have sticky fingers. And it's not from eating ribs or chicken wings.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby RandeDager » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:57 am

I tend to be somewhat paranoid about that sort of thing so I never walk away from anything that I lay down. If I can't carry it with me I take it out to my car and lock it up. I agree that most of those who attend the convention seem pretty wholesome and I don't worry too much, but I've had things stolen in church parking lots and other unsuspecting locations, so I'm programmed to be "defensive" of my belongings.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby BillB » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:14 am

By the way, Rande, it was great to see you and visit last week. I look forward to the next time we both attend CAAS.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby bill_h » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:12 am

On top of all that, how long until the riff raff figures out that if you keep your eyes open and move fast without attracting too much attention they can make off with a good guitar! Other people can causally leave their guitar laying around here or there but not me. Not everyone that stays at the hotel is there to attend the convention.
bill_h

Postby Norm » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:45 am

Since guitars are too bulky to tie to your leg I will share a thing I learned after having a guitar stolen at closing time in a saloon.

It was in its case in plain sight on the stage (this was a medium sized barrom) and, *poof* Gone!

I lucked out and got the guitar back but since then, every time I put my guitar in its case in public I turn the case so the handle is on the ground. Makes snatch-and-grab a little harder because the theif can't make a smooth pickup.

Is it effective? I don't know. I still have my old gent after having a year long gig with it and always following this procedure.

It seems a reasonable, simple, percaution to take
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby RandeDager » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:49 am

Bill, I always enjoy my time with you. I'm glad that we met during my brief time working in Texas. I'm sorry that we both left Nashville without saying good-bye. I think I'll be going every year now........at least according to my wife!

It's interesting how I tend to play less and listen more because I want to return home with new ideas and more to work on. The downside is that I'm not nearly as busy promoting myself and sharing my ideas, which leaves me more stagnant when it comes to any exposure. I need to be able to do that sort of thing through recording and posting here on this forum. That would be wisely planned groundwork. I'm pretty sure that Bruce Keener's videos would have resulted in nearly an instant audience for him if he had attended the convention. People are already aware of what he does. Once people are aware of a good guitarist, the pressure is no longer on to advertise and he or she can get right into performing. There were a number of "nobody's" at the convention who would have easily impressed the crowds if they had been heard. And I'm not talking about those "open mike (mic?) performances where all of the "somebodies" are out in the lobbies and elsewhere and only a handful of attendees are in the audience. We all know the stories of "being in the right place at the right time", which I've never considered the open mike performances to be an example of. I really enjoyed the overall energy though of the entire convention.
Rande
RandeDager

Return to Support