a compromise

A place to share your music! Post and view audio links.

a compromise

Postby Norm » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:20 am

I seldom post any of my guitar work...

I'm posting this for a couple of days because I don't know when I'll be able to post another guitar instrumental due to lax practice attitudes. The dobro ate all the kibble and the guitar didn't get much. Getting this one done was a chore. I'm not kidding when I say I finished the instrumental part a couple of days ago and my fingers are STILL sore. And the singing is atrocious. The best I can do is to cut it in half.
This is only half a song so you're spared one verse of singing. Unfortunately there is another sung verse but the guitar work behind the vocal isn't bad...

The Bigsby is something not many home recording people use and I never understood why... it is a nice sweetener.

I took down the "Compromise" link 7/7/. It had a healthy number of hits so it served its purpose.
The full version is still on the qeue at my soundcloud account

Thanks for listening.
Last edited by Norm on Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Re: a compromise

Postby Vidar Lund » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:26 am

Norm, you´re far too modest. Terrific rhythm and sound, feeling and nice CG tone with that Bigsby vibrato. Your voice makes you the Tom Waites of the Chetboard.
Vidar Lund

Postby Norm » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:25 am

Thanks,Vidar...

for the guitar modification fans this is my guitar

http://gretschpages.com/guitars/models/examples/544/

essentially a 61 gent with upgraded pickups and a Tru Arc bridge
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

That should do it.
Norm

Postby Ray Bohlken » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:04 pm

Norm, you're kinda hard on your self with the singing. I enjoyed the playing, too, and I've always liked the Bigsby sound when it's used in moderation like you did. I think more people are primarily playing acoustic these days and don't get into using the Bigsby very often.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby keener » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:36 pm

Norm,
When a man with breathing issues sings a song, that means that song is coming from his soul. You probably can't help but sing it. You should never apologize for what's in your soul. I truly cannot sing ... even my late wife told me to not give up my day job (and she was sometimes more cryptic than that). But sometimes when I hear Amazing Grace, or Jerry Reed's A Thing Called Love, or I Don't Know Why, I can't help but sing ... it's in my soul, and it has to come out. It can be the same way with the guitar ... some songs, when they come to you in your head, you just have to play them.

I wish more people would do like you and just express their souls. Thank you again for sharing.

Bruce
keener

Postby Norm » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:31 pm

Thanks, guys.
An old friend from my rowdier musical past may make a vocal for me to splice into that workup so the whole song is more enjoyable. Hopefully we'll pull it off.

I get really vocal about Bigsbys. I read somewhere that Duane Eddy got his first 6120 because he wanted a guitar with a Bigsby on it. I remember wanting a Gretsch for the very same reason, because Chet used one with such taste. I would watch home YouTubes of guys doing songs and you'd see the Bigsby handle pointing at the floor and seldom used beyond maybe a timid downpush.

In any case, it was 'put your money where your mouth is' time and I did this thing. Proof that I actually played something other than Dobro. My next project is to try to build some instrumentation around the voice of a woman I worked with some years ago. It won't be perfect but it should be interesting.

Have to wait for the soreness to go out of my fingers first...

That should do it.
Norm

Postby guitarchuck » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:29 pm

Norm, lower your action and then your fingers won't get so sore! (Sorry Norm, I couldn't help myself on that one! LOL.) :lol:

Good to hear you recording, keep it up!
guitarchuck

Postby Norm » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:18 pm

guitarchuck wrote:

Norm, lower your action and then your fingers won't get so sore! (Sorry Norm, I couldn't help myself on that one! LOL.) :lol:

Good to hear you recording, keep it up!

I actually thought about that but the problem is I've just laid off playing guitar waaaay too long. That and I'd have to re-train my right hand since I play pretty firmly on the Dobro.

There are so many good players out there it gets a little intimidating.

That should do it.
Norm

Postby Peter Clifton » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:34 pm

Nice to hear your picking and singing, Norm. After looking at your guitar on Gretsch Pages I'd like to ask, purely out of curiosity, is the nut width the stock 1 11/16" or 1 3/4", I figure Gretsch were probably still offering the option when yours was built?
Thanks

Peter Clifton
Peter Clifton

Postby Norm » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:34 pm

Thanks, Peter...

This is the first time I ever measured it... 1 3/4"
I got the guitar used. Nice old axe.

I'm going to be taking down "Compromise" in a few days. I just wanted to let you folks know that I once was a guitar player. I've been an "opinionator' here for many a year. I'll not be doing any more singing I don't think. Those two songs are just about my repritoire. I think if I were to sing anymore it might constitute a felony or be regarded as a terrorist attack

I'm not done yet. I have a couple of recording projects in the fire. I don't refine mine as much as Richard Hudson and others might, but hey, the clock is ticking and I want people to remember me as a musician as well as a talker...

I used to do watercolors, too...

That should do it.
Norm

Next

Return to Audio files