for John Knowles: Lenny Breau Fingerstyle Jazz

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: for John Knowles: Lenny Breau Fingerstyle Jazz

Postby keener » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:03 pm

John,

Thanks for help on Lenny's use of thumb and index (and m). I sure am looking forward to the book, and anything that you decide to do with the uptakes. I've never really tried to learn anything of Lenny's, but this seems to be as good a time in life as any to finally give it a try (at least a little bit).

Roger,

I imagine this will become one of my favorite books too.

All my best
Bruce
keener

Postby Roger Hardin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:43 pm

HI Bruce

I remember the quest I was on before getting this book. I almost had Chet's version of "Wish upon a Start" figured out but I was still missing a few licks. One of them was mixing in a pull-off (descending slur for you classical guys) with cascading harmonics. That's been a few years ago but If I am not mistaken John covered that technique in this book. I believe Chet credits Lenny with that technique in one of his videos.

A lot of good stuff in this book.

take care
Roger Hardin

Postby keener » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:16 am

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the heads-up on that. That would be more than worth the money to learn that technique ... Lenny was certainly the master of harmonics, and I have so very much to learn in that area.

The book is supposed to arrive this afternoon. I'll quickly try out a few things from it, and then it's time (past time) to restring the Godin ... then I'm in for days of tuning and retuning every 5 minutes. Then, maybe I can settle into the book and learn as much as this old feller can.

Take care
Bruce
keener

Postby bill_h » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:02 pm

John, thanks for the inside info on your project with Lenny! If you think of anything else I'm sure I wouldn't be the only Chetboarder to read it if posted.

George, that sounds like a brilliant idea you came up with for the out takes and revising the book. Let's hope John thinks so too!

Bruce, if you get a new tune from searching into Lenny's music be sure to post it on you tube!
bill_h

Postby keener » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:53 pm

bill_h wrote:Bruce, if you get a new tune from searching into Lenny's music be sure to post it on you tube!

I'll definitely be learning from it, Bill ... it's a tremendous book. As to whether it makes me creative enough to come up with a tune based on any of it, or not, I dunno. Only time will tell, but thinks for thinking of me.

John -- fabulous book! Thanks for putting it together.

Bruce
keener

Postby John Knowles » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:39 am

Randy Buckner brought his copy of Fingerstyle Jazz with him to the thumbpicking weekend in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky. When I looked at it, I remembered that I'd written all of the music in the book with a fountain pen... and a lot of white out. When the book was done, I took it to California where Lenny and I read through it in Kirk Sand's guitar shop.

After the Muhlenberg festivities, a bunch of us were jamming back at the Super 8 when Lynn Clapp called "Georgia." I remembered that after Lenny and I finished recording the interview, he said, "Don't you think we should play some real music after all of those exercises?" I said, "How about Georgia. You start it."

I closed my eyes and listened to him play a solo version up to the bridge. I came in with rhythm and that's when I realized he was in F and I was in in C. We laughed and started again... this time in F. I've forgotten if the tape was still rolling.

John
John Knowles

Postby RandyBuckner » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:42 am

John -

Just wanted to thank you again for signing my book, and the insight you gave me that learning Lenny's philosophy and approach to music is as important, if not more so, than learning his solos note-for-note.

Thanks - Randy
RandyBuckner

Postby toon71 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:47 am

Hi everyone,
I bought this book quiet a while ago but never got the nerve to put it through,
now I'm so motivated to start again but this cassette that went with the book is trackless.

I wondered if someone had it online or something, if not so I've to buy a new one :)
All my respect to Lenny Breau,
and John for writing this book with him,
Greets!

Toon
toon71

Postby John Knowles » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:19 pm

Toon, that cassette is a CD now. I don't think it is available as a separate item. Check Mel Bay or Amazon. And have fun working through the book. John
John Knowles

Previous

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins