Legends Thumbpicking Champion is Josh Woods!!!

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Re: Legends Thumbpicking Champion is Josh Woods!!!

Postby cgprnd » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:41 pm

Roger, I actually DO agree with you. I was one of those like yourself who put in many many hours of practice as a child. This was largely because of my strong desire combined with the fact that I was making progress almost every time I sat down with my guitar. The progress felt good and I could feel that I was getting closer to the goal I imagined for myself. My parents felt that I was wasting my time and going nowhere and ruining my chances for becoming successful in another "more stable" venture. This necessitated my having to be very discrete in my practicing. I didn't have the privilege of being "showcased" by my folks and wanting me out in the middle of things like a number of my friends describe when they talk about "being forced" to perform for family and friend gatherings. The bulk of my performing has been as an adult, and this is a result of a lot of prodding by those who believed in me.

Unlike you Roger, I'm not formally trained but have learned to listen well and figure out everything I play. My ear has developed over the years but I never experienced being totally baffled or lost as to what was going on with any song I wanted to learn. I just had to put in the time. And this was before the days of Tabledit and slowing down songs while retaining the pitch. But I knew at a very early age that I could "decipher" what I hear. I grew up with rheumatic fever so I "was able" to put in inordinate amounts of guitar time while having to stay home from school.

I sort of got sidetracked but I know lots of people who put in a lot time at an early age and never felt any progress and are not much better now than when I met them decades ago. I agree that the talent without the practice won't lead to much if anything. I also believe that the lack of talent with lots of practice won't lead to much of anything either. I suppose that a mediocre level of talent with a lot of practice could produce a good result but I believe that LOTS of talent combined with LOTS of practice is the best combination.

My point was that IF someone is highly talented they usually don't want until late in life to develop it or for it to be noticed. It is usually discovered and exploited early, such as in the case of Josh. Most people later in life who I discover are very good have told me that they've been at it since childhood. I know of nobody 50 or 60 years old who is a tremendous guitarist who started at 45. That was my point.

Rande
Rande Dager
cgprnd

Postby Roger Hardin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:44 pm

Rande

About 3 or 4 years ago my Dad started talking to me about getting a unicycle. I was in my mid 40's and had not been on one since I was about 11 ( and about 90 pounds). I contacted unicycle.com and ask someone there if they thought I would remember how to ride. This person told me one of his customers started learning to ride a unicycle at age 90 and was doing it well. That almost sounds impossible to me because I don't think I could learn to ride one now( if I had not learned as a kid). I agree with you on your point and cannot think of anyone off hand who started playing at an older age and is now playing at a high level but I'll bet they are out there.

Hope you are doing well Rande and certainly hope you did not take offense at what I said. I have been told all of my Life that I have a God Given talent but I certainly worked hard to get to the level I am at and hope I am able to get a lot better. God has given us a lot of ability to do a lot of things but I believe you get out of it what you put into it.

Back to the original topic I would also like to say how much I enjoyed the entire weekend. Joe Hudson did an outstanding job on organizing and managing all of the events. This is always a great thing and my wife actually loves to go to this. again congrats to all of the inductees, contestants and winners.

Take Care
roger
Last edited by Roger Hardin on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Hardin

Postby RandyBuckner » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:21 pm

I agree with Roger as to the talent and the practice. I'm also reminded of the fact that Tal Farlow and Wes Montgomery didn't take up the guitar until they were around 19 years old - In fact, Wes was already married at the time. The bottom line is, however, that once they took up the guitar both men practiced religiously.
RandyBuckner

Postby Roger Hardin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi Randy

Man you played good this weekend and you were right up there with the rest of em. It was good to talk with you and jam a little late Saturday night. My son Lee remembers you from MTSU.

Take Care
roger
Roger Hardin

Postby Phil Owens » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:48 pm

Well I just have to give my two-cents-worth on this topic.

I can't play the guitar. And I can't ride the unicycle.

There. I feel better now.

Phil
Phil Owens

Postby cgprnd » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:08 pm

Roger and anyone else, I certainly don't take offense at any of the points you've made or exceptions you've pointed out to the things I've said. I probably should have approached my point differently. It's rare for someone with a lot of talent in a particular area not to even discover it until later in life. I'm not saying that when discovered early that no practice is required.

Roger, I notice a certain sensitivity to the idea that anyone might think that your skill came to you like "falling off a log" because of you having "God given talent". I've never questioned that you put in lots of time to develop it. I never even considered that you got where you have without having had to work at it. I just would have been surprised if you had gone through the first 40 years of your life not knowing you had it and then began furiously practicing to get to the point where you are today. I'm sure you're correct when you say that there may be someone out there with a high level of skill who didn't began until later in life. I think of people in depressed third world countries where poverty is rampant. There's no reason why some little prodigy can't be part of an underprivileged family who knows nothing about it and either goes through life without ever discovering or developing it. In other cases maybe a musical prodigy is fortunate enough to move to a situation where this skill can be discovered and then developed even if they are middle aged. Genetic potential is powerful and not always detected.

Josh discovered his talent at a young age and is fortunate enough to have been working on it just like you and I had to.

Rande
Rande Dager
cgprnd

Postby Phil Owens » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:21 pm

Hey Randy,

Ben was braggin on your pickin, bro - Josh's too. Were you in the jam back at the Super-8?

Phil
Phil Owens

Postby RonBloor » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:12 pm

My original post said "God given talent and hard work". It is silly to think that anyone could just pick up a guitar (or any instrument) and play the way all the contestants played without BOTH... This talk kind of reminds me of that old saying... Pray.... but move your feet... or something to that effect. There is nothing easy about playing the guitar well. It takes years of practice and nobody here would dispute that. IMHO.
Anyway, Phil.... Ben was amazing and he just keeps getting better. I'm sure that Ben and Josh had a great time playing together, but I wasn't at the Super 8 so I don't know what kind of Jamming took place.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby Roger Hardin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:39 am

Hi Ron

My rant started because of the use of the word "it" I am as Rande said a little sensitive to anything that would suggest that one's playing ability has as much or more to do with with something you are born with than the actual practice. I realize no one directly said that but at first it came across to me like that and I apologize for the rant. I have a strong opinion about this but I could be wrong. And my perspective is based on my own experience.

Phil, I was at the Jam session at the Super 8 and Randy was there with us along with Robert Anderson, Paul Mosley, Pat Kirtley, Lynn Clapp, Palmer Moore, Dave Duncan and last but not least John Knowles. I am sure I left a few out but this was a lot of fun and we created a lot of great memories. I wish you could have been there You would have been so proud of Ben he was awesome.

thanks
roger
Roger Hardin

Postby JackBowman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:05 am

Congratulation, Josh, on your great Win.
It was a remarkable job to ace the contest with questionable equipment for the performance.

That new guitar will get a good workout, I'm sure.

I am reminded of a local kid ( Lucas Holmgren ), here in my area ,who came in here and tried to become a part of the group but was treated lightly. He still is flogging away on the less succesfull makes of guitars, but his talent overcomes the odds. Google him and catch his performances on both guitar and piano.
I have practiced dillengently for many years and this kids blows me away with his speed and accuracy, and yet is quite humble around seniors pickers.
JackBowman

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement and News