New Tab...help appreciated..lol

A place to share your music! Post and view audio links.

New Tab...help appreciated..lol

Postby Doug_H » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:00 am

This is a tune I wrote in 2007 and pretty much marks the spot where my arthritis forced me to simplify a lot of fingerings and pare things down to the bare necessities. lol.. It's really been a blessing in disguise since it's forced me to do some things more intelligently than I had before (that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!). You might notice that there are only a few instances where more than two notes are played at once, but it still has plenty of movement (I hope).

I always cringe when introducing a tab because I'm not a 'reader' and I'm sure the notation frame in Tabledit would make someone who does know their stuff cringe even worse than I do. lol But I just look at the tab frames anyway and do my best to make it sound like it is supposed to. Maybe a different time sig would make more sense, but that stuff baffles me. Any help refining things is always appreciated, so don't hesitate to straighten me out. heheh

Anyway...I wrote this for my great niece, Anna Claire's, 5th birthday. She was (and is still) cute as she could be and looked very much like Shirley Temple at the time. So I envisioned her dancing a softshoe like in the old movies and it led me to this....

Anna Claire's Soft Shoe

http://hendrixmusic.com/samples/Anna_Cl ... 042612.tef

Hope you enjoy....and try it. ;)
Doug_H

Re: New Tab...help appreciated..lol

Postby Doug_H » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks for the response, Jack. There are just a few people out there I consider experts with both music and Tabledit, and you are definitely one of them. I see what you mean; the program is awesome and it takes care of 'almost' everything... and most experienced fingerpickers should be able to reproduce the tune with the tab easily enough, but it wouldn't hurt to make sure it's explicit in every instance about whether the string is picked with thumb or finger so those less experienced wouldn't have to guess. If I'm 'getting' it, that's where the program doesn't always 'get' it. ;) I'll go over that and refine those stem directions. One of these days I'll go full tilt and do a tab with both the left hand fingerings and right hand strokes. That's one of the things that distinguishes the real pros, like our friends Craig Dobbins and John Knowles, and we really should see more of in the Tabledit crowd. I'll never be a pro like you or them, but I will work on it. Thanks!
Doug_H

Return to Audio files