Bass Guitar on a budget

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Bass Guitar on a budget

Postby BillB » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:10 pm

I'm sort of thinking about purchasing a bass guitar, mostly for home recording use. So, I don't want to spend a whole lot of money, but I want something that will be decent. I've asked a couple of local friends that play bass, and it seems that Ibanez and Yamaha brands are the ones that come up in conversation. I was wondering if any of the Chetboard folks had and thoughts or recommendations. I might be willing to spend up to $350, but I'd really like to keep it below $300.

Bill B.
BillB

Re: Bass Guitar on a budget

Postby Doug_H » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:04 pm

Hello, Bill.

I had a P-Bass and a Jazz for quite a while and a Rickenbacker stereo before that, but with my short fingers it was uncomfortable to play those long scale necks for 'just' a bass line or two while home recording. Any standard scale bass would have the same problem for me, regardless of the price. One day I was in a music store and saw a used Fender Squier 'Bronco' bass for $75. I jumped on it and have loved it ever since. It's a short scale...30" so it's a comfortable fit. If you're only using it for home recording then there's no need to buy an amp. Just run direct into the board. Musician's Friend has them new with free shipping for $149.99 . Used ones (ex-Christmas presents for students who didn't stick with it) are probably pretty easy to find locally too.
Doug_H

Postby BillB » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:42 pm

Thanks, Doug! I can see some possibilities with that instrument, especially at that price.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby tyguy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:26 pm

BillB wrote:I'm sort of thinking about purchasing a bass guitar, mostly for home recording use. So, I don't want to spend a whole lot of money, but I want something that will be decent. I've asked a couple of local friends that play bass, and it seems that Ibanez and Yamaha brands are the ones that come up in conversation. I was wondering if any of the Chetboard folks had and thoughts or recommendations. I might be willing to spend up to $350, but I'd really like to keep it below $300.

Bill B.

I would get the long scale(precision or jazz type) bass even if I had to move my hand around to play the notes.To me the short scale bass notes are muddy,unclear and harder for the ear to decipher.Just my humble opine. The Best, Ty M.
tyguy

Postby simon way » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:43 pm

I heard a guy playing a Danelectro Long Horn bass in a classic rock band recently and the sound was incredible. It's not an expensive instrument - about $350.00 I think. Glen Campbell's touring bass player was playing one in 2009 so I think it must be good. I think it's a short scale bass but that doesn't matter really. More guitarist friendly that way. Check one out. - Simon
simon way

Return to Guitars and Equipment