My first Gretsch (looking for leads & a ? on the CGP)

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: My first Gretsch (looking for leads & a ? on the CGP)

Postby thomaspickels » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:51 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRETSCH-G6120-CHET-ATKINS-HOLLOW-BODY-/290680661165?pt=Guitar&hash=item43adeae4ad#ht_1712wt_1270 Here is a link to something under 2,000 buy it now. Figure you might want to check this one out.
thomaspickels

Postby chanavin » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:24 am

Hi, I was in the same boat, a few years ago, looking for my first Gretch. I now have 4.. My first purchase was a
used 06 6120-TM. I did not go wrong, this is great guitar, and I love it to death, but curiosity got me
and I had to try 6122-59, so I found a used 04 59 , hey that's great too.. Well I'm having so much fun playing the Gretsch's, I started lusting for a Falcon with Dynasonic pups, I bought a used 05 Black Falcon, I didn't go wrong its a keeper too!
So whats left, I had to try CGP, I found 09 CGP, its great too, however out of all them I would not recommend it as my first Gretsch, I think the sound is not as versatile but it sounds and feels unlike the others so its a keeper and fun to play.. . I think, out of the bunch the 6122-59 is the most versatile , and would be good choice for first
Gretsch.. And really, the only one Gretsch , anyone needs

Anyway, all my guitars were purchased used on EBay and all were less than 2k, the cheapest was 6120-TM at 1400. and
59, falcon, CGP were around 1900...
Shop around and you can find some great deals, in my opinion, these guitars are all worth alot
more than what they are selling for... Chuck
Last edited by chanavin on Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
chanavin

Postby nasonm » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:54 pm

chanavin wrote:Hi, I was in the same boat, a few years ago, looking for my first Gretch. I now have 4.. My first purchase was a
used 06 6120-TM. I did not go wrong, this is great guitar, and I love it to death, but curiosity got me
and I had to try 6122-59, so I found a used 04 59 , hey that's great too.. Well I'm having so much fun playing the Gretsch's, I started lusting for a Falcon with Dynasonic pups, I bought a used 05 Black Falcon, I didn't go wrong its a keeper too!
So whats left, I had to try CGP, I found 09 CGP, its great too, however out of all them I would not recommend it as my first Gretsch, I think the sound is not as versatile but it sounds and feels unlike the others so its a keeper and fun to play..

Thanks for the input Chuck. I'm starting lean AWAY from the CGP as I think it might be limiting for my first Gretsch.
nasonm

Postby alexjones » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:06 pm

I agree about the CGP - I can say that because I have one. I really would put my vote in for the 6122-1959 for the first Gretsch. The guitar is pretty versatile and plain and simple - awesome!
Alex
alexjones

Postby nasonm » Sun May 29, 2016 11:46 am

I was just searching for information on the CGPs and I came across this very old post of mine. What made me chuckle is that in 4 years since posting I have acquired both a 6120DSW and a 6122-1959 Hall of Fame model. When I started the search back then I never imagined I'd have BOTH of these fine instruments (as well as a Gibson Tennessean).

Now I'm on the fence on getting a CGP model to add one more to the stable!
nasonm

Postby DagerRande » Sun May 29, 2016 3:21 pm

I'm with you on the 6122-1959 HOF and do not own one for the same reason you don't......lol. However, your good taste coincides with mine!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Steve Sanders » Sun May 29, 2016 7:56 pm

Well, whatever you do, DO NOT listen "Fingerstyle Guitar" by ol' Chet cause you just might be leanin' right back towards a CGP!!! Now, ya gotta understand....Chester was a mighty tricky fellar!!! Even on that album he got some tone most of us mortals will never achieve. Was it the guitar, the Standel 25L15, did he plug into the board, was he wearing that sweater and those fancy socks??? Soooo many questions and variables. O.K. here's the thang......get what suits you the best financially and physically and likeability and let'er rip!! We would all like to sound like Chet at one or more of his many "phases". And we ain't even discussing "classical" guitars!!! So get what your heart tells you. You can't go wrong with "most" Gretsch guitars. I'm proud as a june-bug on a porch light for ya!!! Ain't it all exciting!!!! Steve
Steve Sanders

Postby Larry Marchino » Mon May 30, 2016 9:11 am

My first Gretsch purchase was a 6120DSW. I wanted to avoid the mud switch set-up and I liked the block inlays and the neck size felt more familiar to me at that time. After playing it for about three years with the single coil pick ups I replaced them with TV Jones pick ups. I didn't realize it at the time, but after trying some guitars at CASS with different pickups, I ordered pickups that were the same as the 6122-1959 have. I now also have a HOF and I am extremely happy with both guitars. My point here is that you may be able to do what I did and get one with the set up you really like and then add the mods that you want as funds become available. (I have also replaced the Bigsby handle with a wire handle on the 6120 and also switched to a bar bridge like the HOF has.) So now my 6120 is almost a CG except it has a little narrower neck. I love both guitars, but now that I have the CG HOF I have gotten used to and prefer the wider neck although probably I like the feel of the body size on the 6120 better. I would have to say that the HOF is my number one guitar for Chet style. I use my 6120 when playing with my gospel group. I can't believe I am so blessed to have both guitars. You won't go wrong with any of the guitars that have been mentioned in this topic! Enjoy the search!
Larry Marchino

Postby nasonm » Mon May 30, 2016 10:44 am

Some of you miss my updated post on this thread about how in 4 years I've bought not one but THREE Chet models.

Here they are!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/nasonm/3chets_zps8725ae00.jpg

Now I'm looking at maybe getting a CGP to go with them!
nasonm

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment