My first Gretsch (looking for leads & a ? on the CGP)

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

My first Gretsch (looking for leads & a ? on the CGP)

Postby nasonm » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:44 pm

I recently returned to the Chetboard after years of being away...and this time I'm financially ready to buy my first Gretsch...but first..."Why I Want A Gretsch" by Mark Nason

...The End

There are SO many choices but I'm leaning towards either the DSW, DSV or CGP models. I was wondering, if you own a 6120 CGP and miss having any tone control? Another one I'd love to find is the 6122-'59 HOF in Orange but I'm pretty sure that's out of my budget max of $2K.

I know Chet purists would steer away from the DSV/DSW with the Dynas but although I love Chet's catalog, I play more like Duane Eddy.

If you know if a lead on such a Gretsch, please let me know!

Thanks,

Mark
nasonm

Re: My first Gretsch (looking for leads & a ? on the CGP)

Postby BillB » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:05 pm

If it were me with a $2k budget, I'd be looking for a used Nashville Classic or Country Gentleman (both are G6122-59 models). You probably know already that the Nashville Classic (NC) was made from 2003-06, and after that, it was renamed Country Gentleman when Chet's family moved his name back to Gretsch. The HOF guitar is the same except for the color and F-holes. Anyway, they are wonderful guitars, but they are more than $2000 unless you go with a used one. If you want a new one, either free up some more cash or just patiently save some more and get what you want.

Good luck!!
Bill B.
BillB

Postby nasonm » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:07 pm

Thanks Bill,

I'm very comfortable with buying used AND I'm patient (I've waited 15 years for a Gretsch)!

The 6122 is a contender but there's something about that classic Gretsch 6120 in orange that's always called me :)
nasonm

Postby alexjones » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:05 pm

Hi Mark,
Regarding your comment to the tone control on the 6120 CGP. I don't think anyone else has done this but I replaced the volume pot with a dual concentric pot (one with 250k and the other with 500k). I had one of these pots allocated for the master volume and the other I attached an Angela paper and oil cap (.022uf). It worked out great! No drilling an extra hole in the top for another pot. I can always take it back to original state if I want. By the way the Angela caps are REALLY nice. The 6120 CGP is a GREAT guitar - it does have a different sound than the 6122-1959. But if I were to only have one - it would probably be the 6122-1959. I like the longer scale length better - but both sound great! Both have their places in Chet's music. Take care!
Alex
alexjones

Postby Norm » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:52 pm

I even disconnected the tone switch on my old gent

Guitar sounds better and the amp does a better job tweaking the tone
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby David Elliott » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:05 pm

BillB wrote:If it were me with a $2k budget, I'd be looking for a used Nashville Classic or Country Gentleman (both are G6122-59 models). You probably know already that the Nashville Classic (NC) was made from 2003-06, and after that, it was renamed Country Gentleman when Chet's family moved his name back to Gretsch. The HOF guitar is the same except for the color and F-holes. Anyway, they are wonderful guitars, but they are more than $2000 unless you go with a used one. If you want a new one, either free up some more cash or just patiently save some more and get what you want.

Here's one on eBay-
David
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gretsch-Guitars ... 41636de39e
David Elliott

Postby RonBloor » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:21 pm

I'd have to agree about the 6122-1959 being the best!!... but I can also understand your feeling about the "orange" Gretsch. There are a number of 6120s on ebay. Some are under 2k.. quite a few different models. It seems to me that the new 6122 Gretsch HOF guitar covers both bases.. but not the 2k requirement. Perhaps selling one of your guitars would fund the extra cash needed to buy the HOF er.. :)
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby nasonm » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:27 pm

RonBloor wrote: Perhaps selling one of your guitars would fund the extra cash needed to buy the HOF er.. :)

Ah but there's the rub...I sold off all "extra" gear (5 guitars, 1 amp) to get to the budget I have now! :|

I'm pretty set on a 6120....but I've got to decide which one!
nasonm

Postby Randy Finney » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:02 pm

I am pretty new to playing Gretsch guitars. I have tried many and now own two: a G6120-1959LTV and a G6122-1959 HOF. Both these guitars are in the $2,500.00 price range.

For me, the G6120-1959LTV is a far superior guitar but, this is completely subjective.

I rewire all my two pick up guitars as two volumes, no tone - mostly telecasters. I have one guitar I keep wired direct. If you haven't tried this it's pretty cool. Not very practical live but great for recording.

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby nasonm » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:38 pm

I'm leaning towards making the jump and getting a CGP.
nasonm

Next

Return to Guitars and Equipment