Lenny Breau speaks.

A place to share your music! Post and view audio links.

Lenny Breau speaks.

Postby Craig_Pratt » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:18 pm

I found this on youtube the other day. Unfortunately it's only audio, but there's so much wisdom here and it's very inspiring.

Does anybody have any idea when/where this was recorded?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_JEBosidM4
Craig_Pratt

Re: Lenny Breau speaks.

Postby gitzilla2000 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:31 pm

Wonderful...Sure love Lenny.
gitzilla2000

Postby Randy Finney » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:51 pm

Craig_Pratt wrote:Does anybody have any idea when/where this was recorded?

Lenny sounds quite clean in this clip so it was likely the early 1980's. Lenny did several of these types of workshops around Toronto at this time - in clubs and at the local music college.

I have several of them on tape but, all my stuff is currently in storage due to a house renovation project so I can't confirm that this is from one of the workshops from this era. I strongly believe it is as the poster of this clip is from Toronto.

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby gitzilla2000 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:09 pm

I believe Lenny was also teaching master classes at GIT in Hollywood towards the end. There's one circulating from 8/10/84 and I think it was only two days later when he passed.
gitzilla2000

Postby chanavin » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:28 am

Great wisdom. Thanks for the heads up. He's very modest about acquiring his style

One of the links that came up on side bar is Lenny
playing Yesterday 1966, wow! that's style...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6D8ow1znmk&feature=related
chanavin

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:34 pm

[quote="chanavin"]
One of the links that came up on side bar is Lenny
playing Yesterday 1966, wow! that's style...

That was something else. Amazing tone and technique. Thanks for posting this one.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby joe » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:41 pm

There has been some great Breau recordings popping up recently all over the internet. There is some footage from the Talmage Farlow movie where Lenny Breau is playing outside with Tal on his dock just on youtbe as well as a better quality version of Lenny and Chet playing Sweet Georgia Brown. If you check archive.org, you can find some great (audio) bootleg copies of Lenny playing at The Mississippi Whiskers and sitting in with Danny Gatton (Plus the GIT classes). Along with that there is some early (video) footage of Lenny playing those Winnipeg tv shows (some of which is on youtube).

What I'm looking for is the bootleg copies of this lesson in Nashville mentioned here.
joe

Postby emjaybee94 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:18 pm

I've just put this as a comment on UTube.

"This tape goes back to 5th April 1981 and was recorded at a guitar clinic held at George's Spaghetti House, I think that must be in Toronto as Lenny was playing at the Bourbon Street Club on the 30th March. My source is from page 237 of Ron Forbes-Roberts excellent biography of Lenny entitled "One Long Tune". It's a really good read .... recommended to any fan of Lenny's."

Regards

Mike
emjaybee94

Postby Randy Finney » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Yes, George's Spaghetti House was a club in Toronto and we sure miss it. I spent 100's of nights there in the late eighties listening to Ed Bickert, Moe Koffman, and many other great jazz musicians who played melody.

I never got to see Lenny because I didn't make it from the farm to the big city until 1985.

Thanks for solving the location mystery of this recording. It has been bugging me.

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby RandeDager » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:08 pm

Randy, I met one of Ed Bickert's students in the late 90's at one of the CAAS events. He was Lorne Lofsky, who traveled and performed with Oscar Peterson for awhile. He did an amazing mellow jazz performance on his Stratocaster. I had never heard of either of these guys until that day. Lorne talked a lot about Ed.
Rande
RandeDager

Return to Audio files