Mr Stan Nowlin

Watch and share videos from youtube

Mr Stan Nowlin

Postby Bob key » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:08 pm

several years ago somebody,I think it was guitarchuck talked about what a fine player Stan Nowlin was,so I orded his CD at the time pure gospel guitar and Ive got the lord and I just loved his playing,well after a couple of years I just found them again and am enjoying them more than ever.Than I looked up his website and he,s got some vidio,s on there,when you buy the CD pure gospel giutar he also has a backing tape for it.go to stan Nowlin,com and enjoy a fine guitarist.

Thanks Bob
Bob key

Re: Mr Stan Nowlin

Postby thenorm » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:16 pm

his site

http://www.stannowlin.com/

and a nice vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ovRXTtkd4U

Man definitely has a nice hand.
thenorm

Postby BillB » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:55 pm

Yeah, that is nice and smooth! Very jazzy!

That's an interesting cutaway on an archtop Gretsch, but then I'm probably accustomed to seeing the Chet models.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:23 pm

I notice his Gretsch on the Album cover is pictured with a Filtertron PU at the neck, yet in the video it appears to be a Supertron like Chet's CG. Regardless, he gets a wonderful tone reminiscent of many of Chet's '60s recordings. Here again it might be a case of much of the tone being in his hands and what smooth playing he does.

Thanks,
Ronnie Evans
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby thenorm » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:42 pm

The Gretsch people put out a limited 6120 "Nashville" with a "Florentine" (sharp) cutaway pre-FMIC (the affiliation with Fender). No idea how many were made. The pickup arrangement could be easily changed via TV Jones pickups or resourceful connections with Gretsch.
thenorm

Postby gmoseley » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:30 am

I sure agree with you guys about Stan Nowlin - - that guy is the "real deal"! Wonderful hands, what a great touch,,,,he could play on a cardboard box and it would sound good. He's not huntin' for it, he knows right where it is. I also like the looks of that model Gretsch, a very pretty guitar.
gmoseley

Postby guitarchuck » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:55 pm

Stan's a great player. He comes to our annual gospel guitar jam that we have every spring in Depew, Oklahoma. In fact he was there last month when we had it. When he comes to the spring gospel guitar jam plays a Samick solid body that he's had for years.
guitarchuck

Postby Bob key » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:45 pm

Hi Folks,Ijust awnt to tell you Stan tried to get on the Chetboard but I guess I was having a senior moment and told him Chets wifes name was Elona ,and now the website tells him he cant register, so if anybody knows how to get his registration cleared please do so,I think he will be a great addition.

Thank you Bob
Bob key

Postby Bob key » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:33 pm

Hi There,I just recieved Stan Nowlin's latest CD entitle Stan Nowlin plays back home hymns,the cover is much like Chets with the Church and Stan's 6120,but Ill tell you ,this is one incredable guitar CD his playing and arrangements are beautiful' you can certainly hear who his influences were,this CD has everything great fingerpickin,chickinpickin a little Duane Eddy and wonderful slow hymns every tune is so tastefully played,seems every note has a meaning,Stan is one Fine instrumentalist.

Thank you Bob
Bob key

Return to Video Files