Tommy & Joscho: Main Street Breakdown/Sweet Georgia/Nuages

Watch and share videos from youtube

Tommy & Joscho: Main Street Breakdown/Sweet Georgia/Nuages

Postby Tony Enamel » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:49 pm

Hey everybody,

some more stuff comin' from Tommy Festival in Rietberg/Germany in 2005.

Here's (a young) Joscho Stephan and Tommy Emmanuel chasing each other through Main Street Breakdown:

And then there's Sweet Georgia Brown and Nuages with a little accident right in the middle ...:

Tommy is an amazing musician and extremely versatile guitarist. But John Knowles once pointed out that his most impressive skill is his touch. Just listen to "Nuages" and you'll know what John was talking about.

Enjoy!

Ingo
If it ain't got the groove, the bodies won't move.
Tony Enamel

Re: Tommy & Joscho: Main Street Breakdown/Sweet Georgia/Nuag

Postby Terry Tolley » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:49 pm

Too darned fast. It realize it is impressive to some....but I wish they would slow down and give the melodies time to breathe. The fact that someone.....anyone.....can play somthing that fast does not mean that they should. Just my 2¢.
Terry Tolley

Re: Tommy & Joscho: Main Street Breakdown/Sweet Georgia/Nuag

Postby Tony Enamel » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:33 am

Terry,

I know what you mean, and I've accused Joscho for focusing all too much on high speed playing in the past, which to me is annoying, too, if I have to listen to it the whole evening.

But that night it wasn't like that: There was Tommy playing with various people, playing fast, tender, bluesy - and lots of melody in it. There was really something going on. I think with a vibe like that, it's an adrenaline thing in the end, when it comes to playing Main Street or Sweet Georgia.

Do yourself a favour and watch second half of the second video as well - when they play Nuages. That's really sweet.

And by the way, Joscho has come a long way. His concerts nowadays are different (the video is from 2005), mixing more between burning-down-the-house pieces and ballads. Listen to him doing a medley of "You are so beautiful" and "Smoke gets in your eyes", or listen to his new album "Django Nuevo", for example, like his own "San Vincenzo" from that one (that is still fast, but not striving for world records anymore). Find it here on his Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/joschostephan Part of his development is, that he usually plays with his Quartet today, including a violin, which helps ...

My 2 Euro cents ...

Ingo
If it ain't got the groove, the bodies won't move.
Tony Enamel

Return to Video Files