Don Gibson & Johnny Smith playing country

Watch and share videos from youtube

Don Gibson & Johnny Smith playing country

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:53 am

While surfing around for information on jazz guitarist Johnny Smith, I came across a reference that Chet arranged for Johnny to play some 'country-fills' on a Don Gibson RCA album. Don's voice sounds great and as expected Johnny Smith's playing is impeccable and tasteful.

Thanks

Don Gibson and Johnny Smith http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11jdOcdxpSw
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Re: Don Gibson & Johnny Smith playing country

Postby RonBloor » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:23 am

I know this story has been told many times, but Chet said he made a mistake by putting "Oh Lonesome Me" and "I Can't Stop Loving You" on the same single record.. A double sided hit! I guess as a producer you aren't suppose to do that :). When you are as talented as Don Gibson, it just couldn't be avoided!!
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby thenorm » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:04 am

At the time The Suits at RCA didn't like Gibson and figured him as someone who, while a good singer, would just never be marketalbe and told Chet he was wasting time and money. Chet may have just taken Don's two best songs in case one didn't take. Don Gibson was, after all, his first full on 'producer' effort.

Kinda like when David went after Goliath. Remember... he was all for knowing God was going to back him up but he stopped at the creek and selected five smooth stones, not just one...
thenorm

Postby RonBloor » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:44 am

I like that analogy Norm... :)
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby Jussi Huhtakangas » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:25 am

Harold Bradley and Hank Garland are also playing on that song and album ( Gibson, Girls, and Guitars ).
Jussi Huhtakangas

Return to Video Files