"Scratching" by Keener

Watch and share videos from youtube

"Scratching" by Keener

Postby keener » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:08 pm

Here's another of my little ditties:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUtbuZhra_Q

Maybe you can suggest an alternate name for? I'm not thrilled with Scratching, although I guess it's ok.
keener

Re: "Scratching" by Keener

Postby jsully » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:20 am

Nice picking Bruce, you 've inspired me, I picked up my multiac nylon sa last night. Now I just need to train it
once I get it trained I'll post an audio. Keep up the good picking.
Joe
jsully

Postby keener » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:34 am

Joe, I think that's one of the nicest compliments I've ever had. It's very satisfying to hear that you've inspired a fellow picker to pick.

Many thanks, Bruce
keener

Postby RandeDager » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:03 pm

Bruce, what happens to me while watching your videos is that my "bag of tricks" gets larger. That's how it's always been for me. Having my own identity has always been important to me and totally copying someone else is good practice for the ear and technique, but only those who've never heard the songs I've copied are truly impressed. Everyone else only appreciates my physical and deciphering ability but there isn't any "credit" given for creativity. That's what I appreciate about what you do. Jerry's inspiration is heard in your songs but YOU are the designer and I know I'm listening to how Bruce thinks! Thank you for sharing your musical thinking and adding to my "toolbox".

This would make a nice duet and I was imagining what I would play on the lower end to compliment it. I also appreciate your technique. You've minimized your finger movements on both hands and everything appears to be very "economical". Whether or not I can achieve the same degree of avoiding unnecessary motion, it's always a goal
that I shoot for. Thanks again.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby keener » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:16 pm

Wow, Rande ... if you and Joe conspired to make me feel good today, you certainly accomplished your goal.

Thank you for your very nice compliments on my originality and technique. I was feeling a little down because I had posted this on Richard Smith's FB page a couple of days ago, hoping that he would like it and play it, but I haven't seen any indication that he liked it. So, you and Joe got me out of "the dumps." (Richard had commented favorably on my playing of Struttin', so I thought he might like this, but I think I had my expectations too high ... something I've been guilty of most of my life.)

Thank you again, Rande. Very much.

Bruce
keener

Postby RandeDager » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:26 pm

Bruce, you're a special person. You're very passionate and I appreciate the fact that you are "addicted" to sharing your music with us. I use that term because even though you've eluded to being done with posting your videos for a while it's too deeply embedded in your soul to cut yourself off so abruptly. I was at first disappointed when I thought you were through for a while but soon afterward you were back at it and I could "feel" that you were bubbling over with the need to share more as they came to your heart.

Yes, I believe that because you're playing so much now the improvement in your technique is visibly noticeable.

No, I wasn't conspiring with anyone to artificially give you some sort of boost. I'm just speaking from my heart and I'm glad that the end result effected you positively. I'm especially happy that I caught you at the right time when you were feeling down, which of course I had no way of knowing. The way you expressed your appreciation also gave ME a boost! Thanks.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby RandeDager » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:30 pm

Bruce, I meant to mention that I wouldn't take it too personally that Richard Smith didn't acknowledge your post on his FB page. He is pretty busy and does a lot of traveling and maybe just didn't have enough "down time" to spend with it. From the little time I've spent with him, my impression is that he would be very affirming when he's not distracted.

Rande
Rande
RandeDager

Postby keener » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:00 pm

Rande, that's very thoughtful of you. Good perspective, and no doubt true. Richard is in fact traveling, and might not have even seen the video. Alternately, he might have a policy of not responding to videos on his wall so that he doesn't encourage receiving way too much of it.

I do tend to take things personally when I shouldn't ... guess that's the over-sensitivity that's characteristic of artists. (When I call myself an artist, that just means one who practices an art, not necessarily one who has in any sense mastered it.)

Although I've not met Richard, my impression is that he does encourage others, and is always on the lookout for new licks no matter who comes up with them.

But, anyway, all of that is sort of a sidetrack ... I'm delighted when any fellow picker likes parts of any of my tunes.

Have a good weekend,
Bruce
keener

Postby Billy Anderson » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:51 pm

Bruce, you inspired me, too-to put my guitar away and take up something I might master (chewing gum, coloring in the lines, etc.). For me, an appropriate name would be Keener's Exercise in Futility, K.1. You cannot begin to know how I envy you and all the great posters on this CB for Pros/Semi-Pros (apparently, I missed the Beginner's Board and ended up here by mistake). Seriously, u dun gud! KOPAP. Billy
Billy Anderson

Postby keener » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Billy, me thinks thou dost protest too much. I suspect you can play circles around me. Regardless, thank you for another uplifting compliment. All my best to you, Bruce
keener

Return to Video Files