Martin Taylor and Tommy Emmanuel

Watch and share videos from youtube

Martin Taylor and Tommy Emmanuel

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:01 am

Jazz guitarist Martin Taylor, jams with and interviews Tommy Emmanuel on YouTube. Contrasting styles that melodically blend the acoustic and electric guitar very nicely. Interesting interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHGzJnFong0
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Re: Martin Taylor and Tommy Emmanuel

Postby George Beasley » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:17 pm

Martin is absolutely one of the greatest guitarists around. A very nice man as well.

This was recorded in Martin's hotel room at the CAAS convention last year. He recorded a series of interviews/jams while there.
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby Phil Owens » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:22 pm

Thanks for posting that. Tommy is my all-time favorite and I thoroughly enjoy Martin. I bought his "Hauteville" record today. Y'all might be interested in this - http://app.topspin.net/store/martintayl ... ails/61019

Thanks again,
Phil
Phil Owens

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:41 am

Martin Taylor's playing was a big surprise when I attended CAAS many years ago. At the time I was struggling with how best to play melody notes when finger picking when using a thumbpick. Having been a straight picker for much of my life, I had developed a technique of playing harmony notes with the flat pick and ring finger. Martin demonstrated his style in a workshop at CAAS and I noticed he was playing many of the melody notes with his ring finger while the thumb played the bass and his fore and middle fingers were mostly performing the rhythm chores. I took that lesson to heart and based some of my playing on what Martin showed us that day and it worked for me, although it doesn't come anywhere close to his playing.

You never know from whom or from where your best guitar playing tips might come. I suppose that is why Chet was always interested in watching and hearing other players all the while picking up tips or licks. 'Never stop learning' aptly applies to guitar players.
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Return to Video Files