Ted Greene medley

Watch and share videos from youtube

Re: Ted Greene medley

Postby Randy Finney » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:26 am

Yes, "This Is New" (Concord Jazz 4414), is a duet album with Lorne.

In the late eighties I used to frequent a club in Toronto called George's Spaghetti House. I heard Ed and Lorne together there dozens of times, and many more dozens playing with others.

If you ever have to come to Toronto for business or whatever, Lorne still plays regularly at these clubs:

Mezetta Restaurant & Tapas Bar, (416) 658-5687;
Chalker's Pub, (416) 789-2531;
The Rex Jazz & Blues Bar, (416) 598-2475

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby Randy Finney » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:49 pm

That's cool, Jack. My wife drags me to the ballet on occasion but, I don't think I "get it". I'll say "hi" to Bucky for you when I meet him for the first time in April. (I have done a few tours with Frank.)

Incidentally, my wife and I are escaping our domestic bliss here in Toronto and spending the weekend of March 19 in New York City. I have only been to two places in America - CAAS and Disney World.

Any inside scoop on Fingerstyle Guitar happenings in New York on the weekend of March 19? We'll be staying at the Ritz-Carlton (the Battery Park one - Two West Street).

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby P Van Ness » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:54 pm

Jack, I live in NJ also and happend to have studied with Buckies Uncle, Bobby Dominick, from the mid 50's through early 60's. Bobby was influential in Buckies playing. Bobby played guitar and banjo on the old Mitch Miller TV show way back when. I live on Greenwood Lake in West Milford Township and Bucky plays every so often at a place called Joey's here in town, as does Tom Dolye(Les Paul's sidekick for many years when he played in NY) Tom is not only a master luthier, but a great finger picker as well.
P Van Ness

Postby Randy Finney » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:39 pm

It is interesting that you have this connection. I would be thrilled if you could post more about some of the things Bobby had you practice.

I just learned of Bobby a few weeks ago as I was doing some preliminary research while preparing to sell Bucky for an upcoming show in Toronto. Bucky makes reference to Bobby in a 2006 telephone interview with Michael Pettersen:

"My uncle, Bobby Dominick, played with big bands, like Buddy Rogers, Clyde McCoy, Bob Chester. He made a record called "Octave Jump" playing an acoustic Gibson Super 400. He also had a sensational Epiphone Emperor. He didn't play electric in those days. Bobby was a good rhythm player. Whenever he came off the road, he'd show me things that he learned from the best rhythm players he met while traveling. I was lucky to have that first-hand information given to me, where other guys would take three or four years to figure out how to do something on guitar.

My uncle used to..."

You can read the complete interview here: http://www.freddiegreen.org/interviews/pizzarelli.html

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby P Van Ness » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:03 pm

Randy, I typed a whole diatribe about Bobby Domininck to you, but somehow it took me a couple of hours and when I went to post it I was logged out and not able to either send or recover it. Please email me directly at pvanness@optonline.net and I'll see if i can reconstruct it again. it was fun going down memory lane again. Peter
P Van Ness

Previous

Return to Video Files