Chet and Paul play "Twitchy"

Watch and share videos from youtube

Chet and Paul play "Twitchy"

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:07 am

Roger Pratt posted a link to YouTube featuring Chet and Paul performing "Twitchy". They did a marvelous arrangement of the song and some of the best video close ups of Chet and Paul's playing that I've seen. Their timing on the twin parts, and Paul's break was outstanding. If you've already seen it watch it again and notice the video of how Chet places his hand near the Bigsby and how both he and Paul articulate their picking. By the way the bass player in the background gets in the last note! Thanks Roger... that's one of the best on YouTube.....thumbs up!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L295slS ... r_embedded
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Re: Chet and Paul play "Twitchy"

Postby BillB » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:43 am

That was great! And I kept hearing the bass player throughout the song. He was sort of like a 3rd picker.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby RandeDager » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:39 am

That "bass player" looks like it was Johnny Johnson. I used to see him a lot with Chet years ago.

Rande
Rande
RandeDager

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:31 pm

I just noticed, Chet is using a Ray Butts pickup in that video.
guitarchuck

Postby craigdobbins » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:48 pm

Chet and Paul were playing great in this one. I talked to Paul this morning, and he said he thought it was one of their better performances. I'd have to agree!

Yes, that's a Ray Butts pickup. They had a great sound. I used a CG with a Butts front pickup for a couple of tunes on my "Psalms, Hymns..." CD. ("Love Lifted Me" and "When We All Get To Heaven." I may have used it on some more tunes, but that's over 10-12 ago and I've forgotten.)

I also liked those first generation SST guitars like Paul is playing. A friend who owned a music store had one with a wide neck and natural finish, great guitar.

Anyway, that brings back a lot of memories.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:03 pm

I've got a question about that Ray Butts pickup. I have one with 2 rows of screws like the Gretsch Filtertron but in a Gibson type housing. I noticed Chet's has 2 rows of holes and a row of screws down the middle. Was it a single coil pickup? What were the 2 rows of holes for? Also I noticed on Paul's website, he shows some of Ray's pickups that are the Gibson type with a center row of screws and no holes.
guitarchuck

Postby craigdobbins » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:11 pm

Chuck-

I'm not sure, but all the ones I've seen have been hum-canceling.I think the one I used had the row of screws and the row of holes. (The guitar belonged to a friend, who still has it.) Mr. Butts may have experimented with different designs or housings. Whatever he did, those pickups sure sounded great. Once he told me that he was "looking for a bigger sound." I think he succeeded.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby Richard Hudson » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:42 pm

If there ever was a perfect accompanist, it would be Paul. He would always try to put in something different on his breaks. You never got the impression that he was competing with Chet, but rather complimenting what he did. Paul's harmony licks were always perfect in sync with Chet. I know we all know that, but to me it is just the mark of a class person.
Richard Hudson

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi Richard,

Absolutely! Paul Yandell is one of the rare pickers who is a good road musician, on stage, and has great playing skills needed in the studio. He has worked both areas and there are hundreds of recordings sessions he played on to prove the point. That video shows the magic between two talented musicians.
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby RandeDager » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:56 pm

I agree with all of you about Paul. I'm wondering how many opportunities there are (or were) for people like Paul? It's probably difficult for a talented "second man" to shine or to even be noticed. Usually the star takes over to the extent
that all accompanying musicians are very much in the background. Chet was very humble and gracious and I remember all of the concerts I attended where he made sure that Paul was noticed and was very complimentary to him.

Rande
Rande
RandeDager

Next

Return to Video Files