Chet Atkins & Les Paul - Deed I Do and receiving award ('77)

Watch and share videos from youtube

Re: Chet Atkins & Les Paul - Deed I Do and receiving award (

Postby Pickin Palmer » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:45 am

Of course we feel that way because we are posting on the CHETboard!!! In fact, I was driving back from CAAS the year I bought the Chester/Lester two-fer CD at the convention - in a pouring rain storm - tearing the cellophane off CD after CD - at 80 miles an hour - and, somehow without causing an accident I stuffed them into a portable CD player on my lap that I had connected to my car tape player. (Let's ya know how long ago that was...) When I got to the Chester/Lester CD I just fast forwarded past just about every tune - feeling somewhat upset that Les was ruining every tune. Then, I got a call from my young buddy (well, he was then) Chris Vickers who couldn't attend with me that year. I told him about all the CDs I was bringing home - and, just how unimpressed I was at the C/L CD.. He said, "Well, you might want to go back and give it another listen - they did win a Grammy." Soooo, I reluctantly did with a little different attitude and expectation - and, it has subsequently become one of my favorites to listen to - even with Les "winging" most of his licks.

Another fact that further endeared me to his "style" of playing is listening to his Trio before he had his auto accident (which is why and when I think he started "acting up" more than concentrating on his playing.) Take a listen to his Trio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR5zdYuustQ I even hear some "tricks" Chet used in there.... The man could play the guitar....
Pickin Palmer

Postby DagerRande » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:13 pm

Palmer, I somehow knew that you’d come up with a way to appreciate Les. I respect you enough to at least try to change my perspective. By the way, I consider winning a Grammy to be reflective of the tastes of the majority, which I don’t consider to be the most discerning listeners. Of course, much of it is also political. I also know what I like and what I listen for and it usually doesn’t coincide with most people I know…….lol.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby LMark » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:12 pm

How about Travis on two Les Pauls?
01_CANNONBALL_RAG.mp3
(807.48 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
Hee, hee, hee! LMark
LMark

Postby Pickin Palmer » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:03 am

Another "life experience" of "druther rearrangement" in my musical life, Rande, was when I was chasing one of the entertainment editors of our local news dynasty, The Columbus Dispatch, to get him to mention my OFGC Pickin' Parties and concerts more often in his articles - and, more intensely. (I actually did get him to come to a Richard Smith concert one time and was hoping he'd write something about RICHARD, instead he wrote a column about my "two handed" hand shake. ARG! http://ofgc.net/images/News-AaronBeck.jpg) Anyway - back to the life lesson: Every now and then I would go off on Aaron as to why they would give the likes of BB King a FULL PAGE picture and accompanying article whenever he would come to Columbus - and, the guy pretty much had no talent! His very calm explanation to me drove home a very important point that didn't make me appreciate BBs talent anymore - BUT, I learned how his INFLUENCE in the music world deserved RESPECT. (Which, in turn, filled venues.)

"Palmer, who was the hottest "bar band" and most influential to all other rock bands of all times?' Ans: THE ROLLING STONES!! "Guess who claims that BB King was their most major influence?" Ans: Yep - again, THE ROLLING STONES!! "Soooo, BB King gets a whole page. Richard Smith and Tommy Emmanuel "maybe" get mentioned somewhere down in the copy."

I learned my lesson: Sometimes you have to listen deeper than the notes...
Pickin Palmer

Postby DagerRande » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:35 pm

So Palmer, the question in my mind becomes whether the writer understood what he was witnessing when he saw Richard and just felt that the public would be more interested in reading about B.B King, or was the writer himself oblivious to Richard's superior talent? By the way, if I haven't mentioned it before, I consider you to be a gifted writer! If you were to write a book, I would definitely read it! My perspective has more to do with style and delivery than it does with content.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Pickin Palmer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:49 am

Thanks for the compliment, Rande. I enjoy writing - but, it takes me sooo much more time than it used to. A BOOK would take me the rest of my life!!!

Yes, Aaron did enjoy and appreciate the superior level of Sir Richard's talents - that's where the "two handed" hand shake came from. In the same breath, he also instinctively knew that his "mass" appeal is to a very narrow band of US half"fast" guitar pickers that can understand the depth of his playing. Which makes for interesting reading to the subscribers to Guitar Player mag - but, probably not so much in his Columbus Dispatch. (I was REALLY upset when I first realized this - but, have mellowed as I near the grave... (lol)
Pickin Palmer

Previous

Return to Video Files