Chet and Merle

Watch and share videos from youtube

Re: Chet and Merle

Postby Billy Anderson » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:58 pm

Roger Crews wrote:sounds great billy . Is this something you can share with us ?

Roger, I hope this works. You may have to play with the scroll button and shadings, etc. (I do on mine) to get a readable view of the three pages (the back was blank). I think this was a program from about '51 or '52, which I determined by using a perpetual calendar and my wife's memory of being sent to stay with friends while her Mom and Dad made the trip to Nashville to see the Opry. If the scans are not readable, I would appreciate someone telling me exactly what I need to do to get these posted. Thanks. Billy
Attachments
scan0001.jpg
scan0002.jpg
scan0003.jpg
Billy Anderson

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:47 pm

Billy,
Thats great! You can click on the scans that you uploaded and they enlarge to read them. That would have been a great night at the Opry! Before my time though.
guitarchuck

Postby Billy Anderson » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:41 pm

A veritable Who's Who of early country music. Before my time, too, but not by much. Glad you like it . Billy
Billy Anderson

Postby guitarchuck » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:08 am

According to: http://calendarhome.com/day-of-week.html Saturday July 22 would have been in 1950. Does that sound possible Billy? Chet was probably using his D'Angelico on that show.
guitarchuck

Postby Billy Anderson » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:26 am

guitarchuck wrote:According to: http://calendarhome.com/day-of-week.html Saturday July 22 would have been in 1950. Does that sound possible Billy? Chet was probably using his D'Angelico on that show.

That would have to be it. I wrote it down somewhere but forgot (doing a lot of that lately) so I was guessing the '51 or '52 dates. Man, I wish I could have been there for that show. I was lucky enough to see Chet three times and Jerry once in concerts, but never got to see Merle. I've seen Doyle, too, so now my goal is to see Tommy E. before I head for that big Picking Party in the sky (hopefully). Thanks for getting the correct date. Billy.
Billy Anderson

Postby guitarchuck » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:18 pm

Billy,
I was privileged to see Chet in two concerts in Tulsa and two concerts at Silver Dollar City. I got to see him & talk to him several times at the CAAS convention. Also once at a Gibson Guitars book signing at Tower Books in Nashville.
I was also privileged to see Jerry Reed in concert in Branson, MO once. I got to meet & talk to him after the show.
I missed my chance to see Merle when I was a teenager. He was at a nearby high school for a concert. I wish I would have went.
To me, Chet, Merle, & Jerry were the big 3 guitar players!

If you can ever go, CAAS convention is the place to see Paul Yandell, Steve Wariner, Tommy Emmanuel, Doyle Dykes and many other great players of our time!
guitarchuck

Postby Billy Anderson » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:07 pm

I really don't know why I have never attended but I guess I ought to before I reach the point I can't. I've got to come up with a good excuse to get my wife to let me go off by myself for several days since it is illegal for me to have fun without her along. And she does not care for guitar playing at all. Makes it tough but we shall see. By the way, I did swap Chet out of a thumbpick backstage at a concert in Memphis. Thought I had really done something until I later read in Guitar Player that he carried cheap picks for people who wanted him to give them one or swap. Took the wind out of my sails. But at least, I know it actually came from his left front pocket even if I can't prove it. Asi es la vida y las mujeres tambien! Thanks. Billy
Billy Anderson

Postby guitarchuck » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:59 pm

Billy,
I would frame that pick with the caption "This thumbpick belonged to Chet Atkins", because it did! I've been to CAAS 5 or 6 times probably. My wife don't mind guitar music, just not that much of it. To tell the truth, I don't want to spend every minute there when we go either. So we usually make it a mini vacation, go see a few sights, take her out to eat and some shopping of course. A small price to pay for a great weekend of guitar!
Also, you see wives in the lobby areas reading books, knitting, talking to other wives ect. The guys do outnumber the gals though.
I usually look at the CAAS schedule and decide what I want to see and then plan everything around that.
guitarchuck

Postby Billy Anderson » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:20 am

guitarchuck wrote:Billy,
I would frame that pick with the caption "This thumbpick belonged to Chet Atkins", because it did! I've been to CAAS 5 or 6 times probably. My wife don't mind guitar music, just not that much of it. To tell the truth, I don't want to spend every minute there when we go either. So we usually make it a mini vacation, go see a few sights, take her out to eat and some shopping of course. A small price to pay for a great weekend of guitar!
Also, you see wives in the lobby areas reading books, knitting, talking to other wives ect. The guys do outnumber the gals though.
I usually look at the CAAS schedule and decide what I want to see and then plan everything around that.

I've acutally thought about having the pick placed in a plastic or glass trophy-like capsule with an attached plaque but I figure folks would think I made it up. I think Paul Y. (got his autograph) and some woman were standing guard at Chet's dressing room door but they were outside so it was just "Chet and Billy" so no corroborating witnesses. As for the trip, I will have to wait awhile on that since I am semi-retired and my part-time job has been cut in half (tied to the housing market). In addition, my son just quit his adjunct faculty job at an Arkansas Junior College and enrolled in a PHD program in Oklahoma . We will probably be supporting both the Arkansas and Oklahoma economies for some time now so my guess is I can possibly plan to attend the 2014 CAAS. Since I will be 72 by then, they may not let me in. If I do make it, I will look you up to steal a few licks. Thanks. Billy
Billy Anderson

Previous

Return to Video Files