Copper Kettle

Watch and share videos from youtube

Copper Kettle

Postby MrAstro » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:12 am

I never sing (not even when I practice guitar) but I gave it a go on this one for fun. I also had a shot at playing some slide guitar in the middle - Hope you enjoy...

This is a cover of Chet Atkins' classic arrangement of A.F. Beddoe's song Copper Kettle.

I've tried to make the cover as close to the original song as possible and have beat mapped the tempo to the original tune. The video is tiled into four separate panels to show each part with the exception of the drums.

The fingerpicking part uses a Gretsch 6120, the rhythm parts are on a Maton EM325C, the slide part is played on a cheap Chinese Resonator and the Bass is a modified Fender Squier with a preamp and active pickups. The drum part is a sampled kit in Logic Pro X.
MrAstro

Re: Copper Kettle

Postby DagerRande » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:28 am

Wow, Andrew! That represents a lot of work! You did a great job! Of course, I paid special attention to the more difficult parts and you were great on the pull-offs, those fast rolls in the middle, and the "super-lick"! I know those are difficult! I bought that record when it first came out in the early 60's, so that's over 50 years of familiarity! Also, I'd like to know what you used for your video including the camera and the editing software?

thanks!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Ray Bohlken » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:51 pm

Andrew, that was fun. I sure enjoy your videos and your playing and singing on this was great. I admire the video very much and I appreciate the work that must have gone into it...getting it all synced up and all. Keep it up.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby MrAstro » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:10 pm

Thanks Rande - I think certain bits could have been a bit smoother - especially the superlick :-) Things aren't so bad at say 80% tempo but at 100% they can get a little dodgy I think :-) Thank you for the kind words.

The video recorder was a humble iPhone 6s, Logic Pro X for the DAW and iMovie for the video. iMovie is quite labour intensive for doing tiled videos because you can't just can't tile four videos in one go - you have to set up a static black background, overlay the first video as a 'picture in picture' and then render it by exporting it. Then you reimport it, put the second video into it, render it by exporting and continue doing that until they are all in. Very labour intensive because you also need to align the video to the audio each time. I suspect there are third party products out there that would make life easier but at the moment I have the time to spend so it doesn't really matter.

Thank you very much for the encouraging words Ray! very much appreciate it. Yeah it's nasty syncing it all for sure - but I enjoyed doing it - it was a bit of fun and kept me out of mischief for a while :-)
MrAstro

Postby Roger Pratt » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:11 pm

Andrew, that is flat-out excellent my friend!! My compliments Sir!!
Roger Pratt

Postby MrAstro » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:14 pm

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and the kind comment Roger!
MrAstro

Postby cliff » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:37 pm

Hi Andrew.... nice!! You even sounded like Chet, haha. Keep fretting'

Cheers

Cliff
Perth, WA
cliff

Return to Video Files