Struttin' by Jerry Reed - my take on it

Watch and share videos from youtube

Struttin' by Jerry Reed - my take on it

Postby Taffy White » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:18 am

Hey all. I thought I'd post my version of this great tune by Jerry. I wanted to make it a little different from the usual and hopefully it turned out that way but I'll leave you guys to be the judge of that :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi9GHTm ... e=youtu.be
Taffy White

Re: Struttin' by Jerry Reed - my take on it

Postby DagerRande » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:58 am

Well Paul, that certainly deserves a response! First off all, I'll have to say that you certainly exercised your creativity and weren't locked into having to play everything exactly as we are all used to hearing it! I think my favorite aspect of how you arranged it was the complexity of your right hand! You intermingled those extra little "funky" notes with the "regular" notes and made my ears perk up even more for a song that I've heard for almost 40 years! Thanks for your contribution to this forum!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Pickin Palmer » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:48 am

Your posts are a new fresh reason to check into the the CB, lately, Paul. Really very good playing. Your playing kind of reminds me of a mix between Buster B Jones (funky licks) and Mark Hill (extremely polished and slightly bending tones) - both cats VERY accomplished. Love those funky licks. You would get along well with Buster's protege, Brooks Robertson.

Where are you from? Got a website/facebook, etc? Any plans to attend a CAAS convention?

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Postby Tom Workman » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:53 pm

Fantastic pickin'! ...love that arrangement. Keep them coming! Thanks, Tom W.
Tom Workman

guitarchuck

Postby guitarchuck » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:18 pm

Paul,
I was wondering what pickup system is in your nylon string guitar? You make it sound great!
guitarchuck

Postby Taffy White » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:05 pm

Hey guys, thanks so much for the positive response.

Palmer - I live in LA but came from Wales in the UK 13 years ago. In fact, I came over with a rock band, met a girl at a gig in LA and got married in Vegas and never went home lol. The marriage ended but I'm still here :D I don't have a website or anything else at the moment except for my youtube channel but I'm sure I'll amend that soon. I went to the CAAS this last July, did you attend it? It was a great experience and one I'm definitely going back to. I went because Kirk Sand asked me if I was going when I went down to his workshop in Laguna and I wasn't thinking of it but he said if you go then can you spend some time playing my guitars in my booth? How could I refuse? I was expecting a fancy version of Guitar Center, he didn't mention there were 50 seats and people would be watching me lol. :shock:

Chuck - It's an RMC pickup and preamp. I play direct into my Logic DAW and use ozone plugins Alloy and Ozone to help boost the tone. That's about it. If I want an amp sound I use the built in Logic amp too.
Taffy White

Postby Pickin Palmer » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:13 am

"met a girl at a gig in LA and got married in Vegas and never went home lol."

I was going to bust yer chops and say, "How'd THAT go?" But, you beat me to the punch, "The marriage ended" lol (One of my sons married a stripper in Vegas - THAT didn't go very well, either...(lol)

You are killing me telling us that you were at the convention this past July. Yes, I was there - I'm the main organizer of the Picker''s Club Room (Belmont Room) right off the CAAS lobby. We would have had you playing every hour - on the hour. I hope you got hooked up with Brooks Robertson while you were there. Like I said before - you guys would have hit it off really big.

Anyway, please working on your solos and come back next year....
Pickin Palmer

Postby Taffy White » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:50 pm

Wow married a stripper? I bet it was fun while it lasted though lol.

That's nuts about the Belmont, I was in there often and would have loved to play some tunes for you. I'll almost certainly be going back next year so that gives me plenty of time to practice ;) I didn't meet with Brooks Robertson but maybe next year?

Thanks Palmer.
Taffy White

Return to Video Files