The Poor People of Paris Cover

Watch and share videos from youtube

The Poor People of Paris Cover

Postby MrAstro » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:43 pm

I've been practicing this one for a long while. It's probably the tune I've found hardest to get up to speed so far - I'm not exactly sure why... It's actually pretty fast although it probably doesn't seem that way when you just listen to it.

I also spent a lot of time working out the arrangement that Chet actually played and this time I also wrote my own backing track and worked out the bass line which I've never done before. So all in all this one has kept me amused for quite a long while now :-) I've also posted Chet's original arrangement below mine.

Anyway hope you enjoy it. I had a lot of fun playing it.

Best

Andrew

Last edited by MrAstro on Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrAstro

Re: The Poor People of Paris Cover by Andrew Hincks

Postby Roger Pratt » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:26 am

Very nice picking Andrew!
Roger Pratt

Postby KatelynP » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:01 am

Great playing, Andrew! What program are you recording with? Your sound is excellent.
Katelyn
KatelynP

Postby MrAstro » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:06 pm

Thanks Roger and Katelyn :-)

Recording... My dark secret is I'm using modelling - not a real amp :-).

So my recording chain is Guitar ===> Line6 POD HD500 ====> Roland Tricapture (USB Audio Interface) ====> Logic Pro (Daw).

Regarding the POD HD500 - I just use a basic amp emulation and then I add a bit of equalisation and reverb in later in Logic Pro. I have an idea that if I upgrade my Audio Interface to one that has SPDIF that I can listen to a better processed sound through my headphones and then reamp and apply the sounds totally in Logic. The advantage being you put a raw signal into Logic and then you can play with it to your hearts content later on and then reverse anything you do if you don't like it.

I don't have the SPDIF capability at the moment so I'm having to put an amp emulation in the POD HD500 rather than Logic so the sound seems reasonable to my ear while I'm recording.

I have tried mic'ing up amps and I have always got a muddier sound. The other disadvantage is if there is noise outside or someone starts up a lawn mower or something it will muck your recording up.
MrAstro

Postby LMark » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:35 pm

Keep up the good work. When the videos started coming out, we could finally see (i.e., study on) how Chet did some of that stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrDmiQWtDUQ

Oh, for even more videos! To have a video of say, "Hello Bluebird," would be priceless.

LMark
LMark

Postby MrAstro » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:25 pm

LMark wrote:Keep up the good work. When the videos started coming out, we could finally see (i.e., study on) how Chet did some of that stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrDmiQWtDUQ

Oh, for even more videos! To have a video of say, "Hello Bluebird," would be priceless.

LMark

Thank you LMark! glad you enjoyed it.

I'd be happy to give Hello Bluebird a go for you if it means a lot to you - I'm not sure how I'll go with it until I try it :-)

I scrounged around and I have actually have a pretty good tab for it which is freely available. I have a feeling a fellow by the name of Jack Baker transcribed it.

Would you like a copy of the tab for yourself?
MrAstro

Postby Ray Bohlken » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:06 am

Andrew, I liked your playing on Poor People. It's a great song and you played it well. I liked your tone a lot, too. It's so much fun to get to see people playing these great Chet versions of songs.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby LMark » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:49 pm

Ray Bohlken wrote:I liked your tone a lot, too.Ray

So did I. LMark
LMark

Postby LMark » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:55 pm

On Hello Bluebird, I wonder if there is even a living soul who actually saw Chet play it. I suppose that there must be. I "play at" this tune, and have my own theories about what positions and fingerings Chet was using in various places. But I have never heard anyone render the arrangement all the way through so that it sounds like what Chet was doing at every point. To some extent this is true of all Chet's arrangements. Of course. But Hello Bluebird is far more difficult even to approximate than, say, Freight Train. Folk who know have described as "unbelievable" some of the footage of Chet that still lies under lock and key according to the wishes of the powers that be. Maybe some day it will be released and we can find out what all we still have not seen. LMark
LMark

Postby MrAstro » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:45 am

Thanks Ray I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I can hear all the rough edges - I'm working on them... Slowly... :-)

LMark I'll make it a Side project to get acquainted with Hello Bluebird. I'll chew away at it and sneak up on it. Maybe I'll have something to show for it after some months. I'm working on a lot of Chet tunes and I find that sneaking up on several at once seems to keep me interested. It certainly has some challenging sounding parts in it so it could be above my current level of incompetence :-)
MrAstro

Next

Return to Video Files