Chet & Paul..."Sweet Georgia Brown" from Nashville Now!

Watch and share videos from youtube

Chet & Paul..."Sweet Georgia Brown" from Nashville Now!

Postby PhilHunt » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:56 pm

Well since the chetboard is just overwhelmed with threads at the moment (that's a joke)....here's a new video I uploaded for you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls_s27F ... e=youtu.be
PhilHunt

Re: Chet & Paul..."Sweet Georgia Brown" from Nashville Now!

Postby rkk2786 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:36 pm

Phil I've never seen this one before, your amazing at what you have, thanks for posting this!

Micah
rkk2786

Postby Roger Pratt » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:33 am

Goshamighty that was good!! Thanks Phil.
Roger Pratt

Postby MrAstro » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:26 am

Thanks very much - really enjoyed that video.

I also wish there was a bit more traffic here - it kind of surprises me that it's fairly quiet. There must be more fingerpicking and Chet fans out there that would enjoy it here.
MrAstro

Postby DagerRande » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:44 am

Phil, I don't know what's going on but you seem to have connections that nobody else does! You come up with all of these rare pics that you post on FaceBook and you find videos that I've never seen! You also know about old tv shows that have come and gone before you were even born!

This footage with these guys performing together was also new to me. It's interesting when I mention people like Bela Fleck, Elvis, Charlie Pride, Dolly Parton, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Perry Como, Michael McDonald, Everly Brothers, etc., etc., as they all related to Chet in one way or another, people are skeptical because they think I'm just making it all up because I'm a huge fan of Chet! A little research would set them straight!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby BillB » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:36 am

Andrew,

Several years ago, there was more regular posting and conversation on the Chetboard. I'd say that there are a few things that have happened since then.

First, the old Chetboard format (or layout) was quite different, and it was somewhat easier to follow. I think there were some who just didn't want to adapt to the "new" Chetboard, and they simply moved on. The rest of us were willing to go with the change, which really wasn't that big of a deal IMHO. And I think it also became a more secure website with the changes. I also think there is a great deal of traffic that we don't really see, because some people come and view, but don't post. I for one, check it daily, but I don't post near as often as I used to. I think others do the same, but some probably feel like they don't have time to post, or they intend to come back later to express a thought.

Honestly, I think a large majority of the people had more interest when Paul Yandell was a regular on this board. It was so interesting to have someone who spent so many years at Chet's side and was so willing to share not only his own knowledge, but also the things he learned from Chet, and from playing the songs and picking style. Since his passing, it has never been the same, and I think the traffic gradually slowed down after that. Some of us were quite fortunate in having the opportunity to meet Paul at CAAS and have a real live friendship with him. He was a very down-to-earth person, who would go out of his way to help you out. For example, when I showed him my Nashville Classic, he volunteered to adjust the truss rod for me. That's just how he was. He really was a great human being, and he has been greatly missed by the Chetboard folks who interacted with him in person or just simply on this forum. We're fortunate that his son, Micah, still frequents this board (and has already posted on this thread), and he shares things that he remembers from Paul and Chet.

Along the way, there was a controversial guitar player (I won't mention the name) that stirred things up with some questionable stories. That caused a division within the Chetboard, and I think a few folks quit posting over that. You probably know a little about that, and it doesn't really need anymore discussion. Too much discussion probably contributed to that issue IMO.

With all of that said, I think the Chetboard has gradually started to show some renewed life, not only with those who have continued to be active here, but also with the newer folks who have come along and started sharing their interests and abilities regarding Chet's music. Of course, I'm talking about folks like yourself. It's refreshing to see that the interest is still there and that people are still playing Chet's music. As sort of a disclaimer, I'm simply sharing my opinion about the Chetboard, and I hope to see the interest continue and grow over time.

Now I need to watch this video! :D

Bill B.

P.S. If you haven't looked at the "FAQ for Paul Yandell CGP" in the Favorite LInks section, you should check it out.
BillB

Postby Tom Workman » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:21 pm

That was great! I just wish they would have let Paul have one go-around. -Tom W.
Tom Workman

Postby MrAstro » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:26 pm

Thanks for that Bill, I didn't know all of that. I wish I had been here to talk Paul Yandell that would have been very interesting and cool. Being from Australia, I've seen Tommy and Phil Emmanuel perform as far back as the early 80's but I never saw Chet Atkins in real life so those of you guys that have are very lucky!

I stumbled on bits about the controversy you mentioned by accident when I was initially searching for Chet Atkins related sites and material on the internet. I don't need to know anything else about it. Better to let all of that stuff stay dead and buried and move on.

I'd love this place to have some more traffic so I'm glad you think it's recovering slowly. I'm looking forward to hanging around at any rate :-) I have checked out the Paul Yandell FAQ, I enjoyed the insight into Chet's and Paul's performances and technical setup as well.

I also bought the Chet Atkins in Three Dimensions books (i.e. volume 1 and 2) and some of the articles in there are fascinating as well. If you haven't got a copy I'd certainly recommend them.
MrAstro

Postby BillB » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:04 pm

Those books by John McClellan are great! Anything he does is top notch!

I was going to recommend another great book that many of us bought years ago, Chet Atkins: Me and My Guitars, by Russ Cochran. I just looked it up, and the cheapest used one out there is on Amazon for $60.00. I think they were $30 or $35 when they first came out. It's an outstanding book, but you may not want to spend that much. However, having read the book, I might be willing to pay $60 or $70 for one. It's a great read, but it's also loaded with great pictures.

Anyway, I'm glad you're part of the Chetboard group.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby rkk2786 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:51 pm

All of you guys are a class act.

Micah
rkk2786

Return to Video Files