Mountains of Illinois cover

Watch and share videos from youtube

Mountains of Illinois cover

Postby Chuck » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:54 pm

Hello, here is my humble rendition of The Mountains of Illinois, it seems like a good song to play in the fall somehow. It is loosely based on Tommy Emmanuel's arrangement.
I recorded this in my project studio, then had my wife shoot some video of me playing it outside, and matched it up.
Thanks for watching! Chuck/Cincinnati
Chuck

Re: Mountains of Illinois cover

Postby Roger Pratt » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:18 pm

Mighty fine picking there Chuck!!
Roger Pratt

Postby DagerRande » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:06 am

That was very nice, Chuck! Your synchronizing was also done very well! That title has always intrigued me. I'm inspired to create a new one of an inverse nature........maybe "Plains of the Himalayas".........lol. Thanks for posting that. I'm curious what your "project studio" consists of?
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Chuck » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:57 am

Thanks Roger, and Rande.

Rande I hope you write Plains of the Himalayas. Another great title.

My "project studio" (I just use that term as I've heard it used before, I don't know if what I have is one), is just my office. I record onto a Mac with Garageband. I have two mics but the main investment is the Universal Audio Apollo Twin. It's an interface, with a bunch of software emulations, for preamps, compression, reverb, that type of thing. It'd be too complicated for me except that the emulations all have presets you can use, which I do. So if you want to try, say, a certain preamp with the mic, you just select it, and then select "acoustic guitar". Someone with better ears would fine tune it, but I don't. It is trail and error, and takes time, but it is a process I enjoy. Thanks again for listening!
Chuck

Postby DagerRande » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:09 am

Chuck, you seem like such a nice person! I see it in your face on the video and also in how you write your posts. Thanks for describing your studio setup. I hope to meet you and sit and play with you at the CAAS convention.

My situation is that, although my daughters are adults, I'm in a second marriage to a much younger woman with 3 kids who I'm helping to support, which doesn't leave me much with which to "do my own thing". I practice pretty seriously every day with the hope that when the opportunity presents itself, that I'll be ready to record. I also find my self practicing things that are too difficult to play well, which I suppose stretches my skills. One that I'm working on right now is Buster B. Jones' "Guitarville". Fortunately I began long before tab was available for Chet, Jerry, etc., so I've trained my ear. As far as I know, there is no tab for "Guitarville", so I imported the audio into "Audacity" and slowed it down and then exported that as an mp3. Then I listen to that while I'm driving around, to get it into my mind before I ever pick up a guitar. Then comes the "trial and error" stage of the process where I figure out where it all is. Hopefully it becomes internalized, including the muscle memory. That's how I learn difficult songs these days. In the old days I slowed down my 33&1/3 RPM record to 16&2/3, which drops it an octave. Many songs learned that way!

OK, enough rambling! Thanks for sharing your playing!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby bwalkertwalker » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:59 am

Great rendition! I always enjoy your playing.

Brent Walker
bwalkertwalker

Postby MrAstro » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:11 am

Sounds beautiful - one of my favourite tunes too!

You have a nice touch!

I also liked your arrangement.
MrAstro

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:07 am

I enjoyed your version of this song. You got a great tone, too. I hope you post some more videos of your playing.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby AngusH » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:23 am

Hi Rande - sounds like you may not need it, but there is a tab of Guitarville in Buster's Ballads & Barn Burners book. It's almost impossible to find these days, but I stumbled across a copy a couple of years ago almost by accident.

I have the tab in pdf so let me know if you want a copy and I'll happily email it to you. I've tried training my ear, but it appears to have attention and learning issues... :D

Angus
AngusH

Postby DagerRande » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:20 pm

Thanks Angus, but I have it pretty much figured out. I'll just never be able to play it at Buster's speed but I think my speed makes it more "absorbable" to the average ear.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Next

Return to Video Files