Playing "Cascade" Without the Stretch

Watch and share videos from youtube

Playing "Cascade" Without the Stretch

Postby Art Sims » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:09 pm

Here's something about playing “Cascade” without having to do the 5-fret stretch. I've seen video clips of players at CAAS performing this piece with ease, seemingly, but I've also heard some players say they don't find the 5-fret stretch to be workable for them. It's really a terrific guitar piece and I'm glad there's another way to get the notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHjQQcioUhc
Art Sims

Re: Playing "Cascade" Without the Stretch

Postby AngusH » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:26 pm

Art - you must be a mind reader. I don't post often, but I was about to ask if Cascade was simply impossible for those unable to make that stretch, or if there were specific exercises one could do to get it within reach. I don't think of myself as having particularly small hands, but I really can't get anywhere near, especially on my nylon string.

I've just watched your video and you've come up with an ingenious solution - I guessed there must be one there somewhere, but I'm not sure my musical imagination would ever have stretched (pun entirely intended...) to finding it.

Great work - thanks :)

Angus
AngusH

Postby Roger Pratt » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:02 pm

Thanks very much Art! I can now play Cascade!
Roger Pratt

Postby Art Sims » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:57 am

Thanks Angus and Roger
It's gratifying to know that fingering idea is useful for other players besides me.
Art Sims

Postby DagerRande » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:59 am

That was very well thought out and explained, Art. I happen to be one who can do that stretch, but from the perspective of this teacher, you've managed to explain your alternate approach very well. One new challenge that you may have introduced into this is to get from your initial fingering of the opening chord to the next one quickly and smoothly. It involves more than just moving that "stretched note" down one fret. The entire hand position has to move down the neck and then change fingering. However, I guess it doesn't have to be played at Chet's speed either! Thanks for analyzing this and making the changes that would enable many otherwise discouraged Chet fans to play this song!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Art Sims » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:32 am

Hi Rande,
You are a keen observer and thinker about the fretboard. To make the hand movement smooth, I think an open string G can help while the hand is being moved to the next chord, avoiding an undesirable momentary break in the sound. I think that's how I did it in the clip at the end of the video. Also, I think you are right about the speed. That is indeed significant. Another factor, as some guys at the Gretsch Pages have commented, is that the scale length of a guitar makes a difference for them. My hat is off to guys like you who can do the stretch. I think it's great that you are able to do it.
Art Sims

Postby DagerRande » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:08 am

Hi Art,
I always enjoy analytical discussions regarding the details of playing the guitar well, regardless of style, although I much prefer finger-style and all of it's complexities. Regarding my being able to do that stretch, I had to work at it to get to the point where the notes rang clear and that neither of the notes at the end of the stretch are dead. At first I would be just a matter of millimeters short and it was like exercising (I guess it really was!) to eventually achieve this. I would also add that I've seen people like Ray Cummins do this with relatively small hands. Flexibility is a different issue than size.

I also agree with you about the scale size of the neck. I've noticed that it's easier on a Gretsch CGP than it is on a Hall of Fame guitar.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby PhilHunt » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:29 pm

I wanna believe that Chet played Cascade on his Estruch classical. I can only play it on my Baldwin which is a short scale. Many might not know this but certain tunes that Chet played (like the classical side of Solo Flights), were done on a short scale Estruch...some of those stretches were tricky.
PhilHunt

Postby Hendrik » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:10 pm

Phil, I 'm almost 100% certain there was a video on YouTube where Chet played Cascade on the Estruch classical. That video was recorded in '78. It isn't the video that is available on YouTube, cause the one I'm reffering to is deleted. Time wise it would make sense that it is the Estruch on the record. Another option could be the Hascal Haile with Prismatone, the model that served as the birth of the Gibson CE. I don't believe Chet played other Prismatone fitted guitars. I've never seen him play a Baldwin classical.
Hendrik

Postby Douglas » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:26 pm

I've seen Chet do it like on both the classical and the country gent. On the album "and then came. ... Chet Atkins" he does it live on the gretsch

FYI here's Wendel Ferguson's take on the tune. Note he's avoiding the stretches too...

http://app.musicme.com/artist/wendell/video/wendell-ferguson---cascade-4B5465665F6F6B6A744845
Douglas

Next

Return to Video Files