Eddie Pennington Plays Merle's Dance

Watch and share videos from youtube

Re: Eddie Pennington Plays Merle's Dance

Postby Pickin Palmer » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:12 am

No, I didn't, Mark. It was either snowing or going to on both ends of my trip out to the Travis Center (6 hrs one way, normally), so I didn't get to ask Eddie to run me through the bridge. However, I've got enough of it to Palmerize (ie dilute it, "three chord it", mumble through it) it to death. lol

BTW, there is a guy by the name of Harley McCabe from Springfield, OH that has been coming to our monthly Pickin' Parties for quite awhile that plays Rose Time just like you. Kinda nice having that tune stay around awhile longer.

I guess the reason I got to thinking about Rose Time is because Eddie plays the first D kord of Merle's Dance with his thumb wrapped over the neck to the A string to grab the root bass note like you and everybody does in RT. I wasn't getting that when you used to drop by Columbus...

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Postby LMark » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:45 pm

Okay Palmer. I'll post chords for the bridge eventually; can't attend to it just now. Or, there are plenty of other capable fellars who could do it. Ahem! The bridge is a bit unusual because it has two parts, in which the second is a variant of the first. It's on youtu.be in at least two places, so EP has already given us a lot of help. Definitely a tune worth learning and passing on. I look forward to hearing you play it sometime. LMark
LMark

Postby rhirvine » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:28 pm

"Merle's Dance" is a 'stuck tune' in my head and I really love Eddie Pennington playing it on youtube. I watch and listen to it periodically. I noticed this time that at the ending Eddie says I think, "To Paul Yandel" to honor him. Just wanted to point that out.
rhirvine

Previous

Return to Video Files