CGP Prototype

Watch and share videos from youtube

Re: CGP Prototype

Postby rkk2786 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:11 pm

Hey guys, the CGP that Paul M. has is one of the prototypes, the twelfth fret has dads name on it, I have the other prototype and the other two CGP's that dad had, he had four in all. Both of the prototypes were just alike except for the bracing inside the guitars. He used the StaTune device on all of his guitars after he found out about them, they are great I also have them on my guitars as well, he always thought Chet would have liked them as well.

TX,
Micah
rkk2786

Postby Tompicks » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:00 pm

Micah,

Is this the stay tuned device you were referencing?

http://www.sta-tuned.com/acoustic-guita ... lease.html

thanks,
Tom
Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Postby BillB » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:31 pm

Tom,
This is the one that I remember Paul using, and I have one on an old Ibanez solid-body that has a Bigsby. It was very hard to keep in tune, and it's better with the Sta-Tuned device.

http://www.sta-tuned.com/electric-guita ... ystem.html

Bill B.
BillB

Postby Norm » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:39 pm

re: Zero fret

That didn't happen until 1959 when Chet first suggested it so of course the CGP without the zero fret is correct
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby LMark » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:53 pm

I had to look at that video again (a good excuse to hear Paul pick, again, of course). One factor in my being fooled about the zero fret is that the nut is aluminum. Against the sta-tuned gizmo (no disrespect intended now!) the aluminum-colored nut looks like a fret (to my bad eyes). Since it is a prototype, I assumed that for some reason—quite unknown to me—they were playing around with a zero fret.

Norm, this guitar, classified by Gretsch as a 1958 6120, has a zero fret: http://gretschpages.com/guitars/6120-chet-atkins/examples/546/

I suppose that it could be a mistake, as the serial number does have a "9" in it, rather than an "8." But I am not an expert on Gretsch serial schemes.

Thanks to all for responses on the board, as well as for emails. LMark
LMark

Postby Terry Tolley » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:35 pm

I was watching a video of when Steve Wariner was on the Woodsongs Old Time Radio Hour, and he played an orange 1958 Gretch 6120 that has a zero fret. I thought for a long time that was an error....but maybe not!
Terry Tolley

Postby Norm » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:36 pm

Well when a company like Gretsch makes a model change it isn't at the stroke of midnight on New Years.

Example... the famous CG/Hollywood album cover has what I've heard called a 1958 CG on it. No zero fret and adding the zero fret was Chet's idea. So just exactly what day and hour the zero fret was made production is a grey area because none of the guitar manufacturers had any idea guitarists would be so obsessed over minutae consequently they didn't keep precise diaries. It may have gone on a run of 6120's before the next batch of 6122's were made that would have included the zero fret. Could be that simple

The original carved top CGP prtototype was built around 1956 according to Joe Carducci of Gretsch. Finger-Style Guitar (the album) was released in 1957 so those pickups had to have been made in 56 too, most likely. In a similar vein, the CA in Hollywood was released in 1959 and I think I've see photos of Chet using the Gent without the zero fret in that recording. so things like that are very hard to pin down.
'
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby BillB » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:16 am

For some reason, I'm thinking that maybe Steve got one of the orange Gretsch 1959-6122-CG anniversary models. I could be wrong, but if so, it would have a zero nut.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby Ray Bohlken » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:30 am

According to the book "Gretsch 6120 The History of a Legendary Guitar" by Edward Ball - page 107 - the zero fret was introduced on the 6120 in batch 293xx of the 1959 model. Batch 293xx is a 50 guitar batch, according to this book. I know Chet really liked the zero fret, but Bryan Setzer always removes that from his guitars. Someone could have retro fitted a zero fret into a 1958 model after they saw it in the 59s, wanting to have a guitar with features like Chet's did.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby nasonm » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:31 am

I realize this is an old old OLD thread but I was searching for details on the CGP model (as I'm contemplating getting one) and because of that, I stumbled on this video. Thank you so much! This is a real treat of a vid.

I met Eddie Pennington a few years back. Nice guy.
nasonm

Previous

Return to Video Files